What can i do to prepare for college?

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to prepare for a future degree while still working. The suggestions include studying math, specifically through self-study materials and books such as "Engineering Mathematics" by John Bird. The conversation also mentions using ALEKS to refresh math skills and exploring distance learning programs at state schools.
JMann223
Is there any online prep I can do that will benefit a future degree? At the time attending on site is not a reality for me seeing as I can't stop working. What I'm looking for is something I can do to establish a foundation and hopefully start chipping away at credit hours. I don't like the thought of having an idea of what I would like to go to school in but not working towards it when I possibly could be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Three things:

(1) Study math
(2) Study math
(3) Study math

Likes DS2C
Is there any specific book or material you would recommend for someone who hasn't touched math in a few years nor really had to apply it?

JMann223 said:
Is there any specific book or material you would recommend for someone who hasn't touched math in a few years nor really had to apply it?
No, since I have no idea where you are in math or what your proficiency was where you were in math, I would have no idea and I can't imagine how you think anyone would, given the zero information that you have provided.

Likes JMann223
DS2C said:
Have a look at the self [URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/self-study-basic-high-school-mathematics/']study mathematics[/URL] Insights written by micromass. I haven't taken math in years, and don't even know what I've forgotten. So I basically bought every high school math book he mentioned and started at the bottom. I am only on the first two but they are really good and I have a better handle on the subjects now than when I took them in high school.
Thank you! Checked it out and it seems like a good starting point.

I'd start with ALEKS to refresh your math. Begin with the highest high school course you completed. Work you way through precalculus.

Lots of state schools have distance learning programs. Few offer all the courses needed for a remote Physics or Engineering degree, but many offer the basic intro Calculus and Physics sequences.

Likes JMann223
I would recommend Engineering Mathematics by John Bird. There are 3 levels and the books spoon feed you from arithmetic to complex stats. Plenty of exercises to do and are frequently turned to realistic problems. When I got to harder math these books were life savers as you can touch up on any math operations you may have forgotten very quickly.

Likes JMann223 and DS2C

1. What classes should I take in high school to prepare for college?

It is important to take a challenging and diverse course load in high school to prepare for college. This should include core subjects such as English, math, science, and social studies, as well as advanced courses in your areas of interest. Colleges also look for a well-rounded student, so consider taking electives in the arts, foreign language, and other subjects that interest you.

2. How can I improve my study habits for college?

To prepare for college, it is important to develop strong study habits. This includes setting aside dedicated study time each day, staying organized, and seeking help when needed. Use resources such as your teachers, tutors, and study groups to improve your understanding of challenging subjects.

3. What extracurricular activities should I participate in to prepare for college?

Colleges look for well-rounded students who are involved in extracurricular activities. To prepare for college, consider participating in activities that align with your interests and showcase your talents. This can include sports, clubs, volunteer work, internships, and part-time jobs.

4. Should I take the SAT or ACT and how can I prepare for these exams?

Most colleges require either the SAT or ACT for admission. It is recommended to take both exams to determine which one you perform better on. To prepare for these exams, utilize study materials such as practice tests and review books. Consider taking a prep course or working with a tutor if you need additional help.

5. What can I do to financially prepare for college?

College can be expensive, so it is important to start preparing financially as early as possible. Research potential scholarships and grants, and apply for financial aid. Consider working part-time or during the summers to save money for college expenses. It is also important to create a budget and learn how to manage your finances responsibly.