I'm stuck.Really,really

• Thread starter xailer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of torques and the calculation of torque caused by the weight of an object. The speaker is having trouble understanding why, no matter where the axis of rotation is placed, the magnitude of torque is always as if the whole mass of the object is pulling from the center of mass. The other person explains that this is because the sum of individual torques always adds up to the same distance to the center of mass. The speaker asks for further clarification on why this formula always gives the distance to the center of mass and the other person suggests looking at the derivation of the formula for a better understanding.
xailer
hello

I'm learning about torques and got really stuck. I hope someone can take the time and help me out with this

When calculating the torque caused by the weight of an object, no matter where we put the axis of rotation, the magnitude of torque m*g*X is always as if the whole mass of a body is pulling from center of mass. I simply can not figure out why that is

Even if looking at formula

m*g*X=(x1*m1+x2*m2 ... )*g

I get no clues what so ever

I know that we can treat extended objects as if the whole body mass was concentrated at that point(center of mass), but ...

Something just doesn't add up

I will give an example

If we have two balls m1 and m2 (m2 > m1) connected together with a stick with length L (its weight is neglible), we find center of that object's mass with

r - is a distance of ball with mass m1 from center of mass

r*m1*g = (l - r)*m2*g

This sounds reasonable

But we could also find center of mass if we don't put rotation axis on center of mass but instead anywhere else. In that case center of mass would be a point where

X*m*g = x1*m1*g + x2*m2*g

This I don't understand! I understand that sum of M1 and M2 would cause the same effect as both those torques together, but why this also gives us a center of mass?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
xailer said:
But we could also find center of mass if we don't put rotation axis on center of mass but instead anywhere else. In that case center of mass would be a point where

X*m*g = x1*m1*g + x2*m2*g

This I don't understand! I understand that sum of M1 and M2 would cause the same effect as both those torques together, but why this also gives us a center of mass?
Think of each mass exerting its own torque about the axis (which could be anywhere). The total torque is just the sum of the individual torques, which is the right hand side of that equation. Now ask: Is there a location such that if all the mass of the object where located there we would get the same torque? Find that location by setting up the above equation and solving for X. The answer is that [itex]X = (x_1 m_1 + x_2 m_2)/m[/itex], which is the definition of center of mass!

So you can conclude that whenever you need to find the torque produced by the weight of an extended object, you can get the answer by replacing the object by a point mass (equal to the mass of the object) located at the object's center of mass.

No, you misread my post. I already understood everything you explained! What I don't understand is how or why no matter where the axis is the magnitude of torque m*g*X is always as if the whole mass of a body is pulling from center of mass. I realize that

[itex]X = (x_1 m_1 + x_2 m_2)/m[/itex]

always gives us the distance from axis to center of mass, but why is that? Why not a distance just a bit shorter then one to center of mass ?

xailer said:
I already understood everything you explained! What I don't understand is how or why no matter where the axis is the magnitude of torque m*g*X is always as if the whole mass of a body is pulling from center of mass.
But I thought that was exactly what I just explained! :smile: The sum of the individual torques add up to Mg times the distance to the center of mass: a mathematical truism. (Of course, we are only speaking of the horizontal coordinate of the center of mass.)

Doc Al said:
But I thought that was exactly what I just explained! :smile: The sum of the individual torques add up to Mg times the distance to the center of mass: a mathematical truism.

But WHY does formula always give you the distance to the center of a mass ? So far I only have your word (and book's )that no matter where the axis is, the torque will always be as if the whole mass is at the center of mass

No need to take anyone's word for it. We derived the result! Is there something about the derivation that you aren't sure of?

1. What does "I'm stuck. Really, really" mean?

"I'm stuck. Really, really" is a phrase commonly used to express a feeling of being unable to move forward or make progress in a situation.

2. How can I get "unstuck" when I'm feeling this way?

There are a few strategies that can help when you're feeling stuck. One approach is to take a step back and assess the situation objectively. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller, manageable chunks. Additionally, seeking advice or guidance from others can often provide new perspectives and ideas.

3. Is feeling stuck a common experience?

Yes, feeling stuck is a common experience that everyone goes through at some point in their life. It can happen in various areas such as work, relationships, or personal development. It's important to remember that it's a normal part of the human experience and there are ways to overcome it.

4. Can feeling stuck be a good thing?

While feeling stuck can be frustrating and difficult, it can also be an opportunity for growth and learning. It can lead us to question our current path and make positive changes in our lives. It's all about how we choose to approach and handle the feeling.

5. How can I prevent myself from getting stuck in the future?

One way to prevent feeling stuck in the future is to regularly take time to reflect on your goals and priorities. It's also important to be open to new ideas and approaches, and to not be afraid to seek help or advice when needed. Additionally, practicing self-care and maintaining a positive mindset can help prevent feeling stuck in the future.