1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Image of upper half-plane under the inverse sine

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is simply to find the image of the upper half-plane under the inverse sine function.

2. Relevant equations

The textbook defines the inverse sine in the following way. First, it defines arccos(w) = -i * log(w +/- sqrt(w^2 - 1)) and then it defines arcsin(w) = pi/2 - arccos(w).

The problem doesn't specify what branches of the logarithm and square root should be used. I'm going to assume the principal branches.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've attempted to just break the inverse sine into a sequence of compositions and to, so to speak, push the upper half-plane through this sequence, but I've not been able to identify a breakdown into suitably elementary functions allowing me to determine the images.

As for doing it directly, I'm just now seeing how to begin.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2010 #2
    I really hate to bump this, but does anybody have any ideas on how to approach the problem? I would significantly appreciate any advice!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook