Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Image of upper half-plane under the inverse sine

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is simply to find the image of the upper half-plane under the inverse sine function.

2. Relevant equations

The textbook defines the inverse sine in the following way. First, it defines arccos(w) = -i * log(w +/- sqrt(w^2 - 1)) and then it defines arcsin(w) = pi/2 - arccos(w).

The problem doesn't specify what branches of the logarithm and square root should be used. I'm going to assume the principal branches.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've attempted to just break the inverse sine into a sequence of compositions and to, so to speak, push the upper half-plane through this sequence, but I've not been able to identify a breakdown into suitably elementary functions allowing me to determine the images.

As for doing it directly, I'm just now seeing how to begin.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2010 #2
    I really hate to bump this, but does anybody have any ideas on how to approach the problem? I would significantly appreciate any advice!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook