1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Image under a mobius transformation

1. Mar 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Mobius transformation which carries the points [tex]0,1,-i[/tex] to the points [tex]-1,0,\infty[/tex] respectively. Find the image of the domain [tex]\{z:x<0,-x+y<t\}[/tex] under this mobius transformation.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let [tex]T(z)=\frac{az+b}{cz+d}[/tex].
    Then [tex]T(0)=-1\Longrightarrow \frac{b}{d} \iff b=-d[/tex]

[tex]T(1)=0\Longrightarrow \frac{a+b}{c+d}=0\Longrightarrow a+b=0 \iff a=-b=d[/tex]

[tex]T(-i)=\infty\Longrightarrow \frac{-ia+b}{-ci+d}\iff d-ci=0\iff c=\frac{d}{i}=bi=-ai[/tex]

Now we have [tex]T(z)=\frac{az-a}{a-aiz}=\frac{z-1}{1-zi}[/tex]

So I now have to find the image under this map which is where I'm a bit stumped. Would it help to find where the intersections of the boundary of the domain with the axes are mapped to?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2014 #2
    Yes, the first part seems to be correct. :smile:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  4. Mar 26, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Now let z= x+iy where x> 0 and x+ y< t for some fixed real number, t. For example, if t= 1, that would be the part of the complex plane to the right of the imaginary axis and below x+ y= 1. Some points on the boundary of that set would be 1, i, 2- i, etc. Determining what the transformation does to boundary points should help you see what the image is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted