1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impedance & complex currents & voltages

1. Jun 20, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2017-6-20_22-50-29.png

Just problem 19C.

2. Relevant equations
    P=IV=Ieiwt*Veiwt. T

3. The attempt at a solution
    P = IVe2iwt=IVcos(2wt). What did I do wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2017 #2
    It asks for the time average. Integrate it over a cycle, i.e. t = 0 to 2π/ω.

4. Jun 21, 2017 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The instantaneous power is the product of the real voltage and the real current. The complex form of power and voltage can be used for linear operations only (addition, multiplication with constant). In general, the current and voltage need not be in phase.
    The complex voltage U and complex current I are related through the complex impedance Z=Ze: U=ZI. Writing in the Euler form, I=I0eiωt, U=ZI=I0Z ei(ωt+φ)=U0ei(ωt+φ).
    The instantaneous power is the product or the real part of the complex current (I(t)=I0cos(ωt) with the real part of the complex voltage U(t)=U0cos(ωt+φ)), where U0=I0Z. The problem asks the average power, so you integrate the instantaneous power for a period and divide by the period T.

5. Jun 22, 2017 #4
    So this means that we can't use their complex form because whatever operators we use on them are only linear? Also, is another way to understand this is that since power & voltage are real, that means we must take their real part when doing operations with them?

6. Jun 22, 2017 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can do linear operations with the complex voltages and currants, but in any other case, the real quantities should be used.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted