Impedance & complex currents & voltages

In summary: In this problem, the average power is asked, so you have to integrate the instantaneous power, which is the product of the real parts of the complex voltage and current. This is because the average power is a real quantity.
gimak

Homework Statement

upload_2017-6-20_22-50-29.png

Just problem 19C.

Homework Equations

P=IV=Ieiwt*Veiwt. T

The Attempt at a Solution

P = IVe2iwt=IVcos(2wt). What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It asks for the time average. Integrate it over a cycle, i.e. t = 0 to 2π/ω.

gimak said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 205836

Just problem 19C.
=

Homework Equations

P=IV=Ieiwt*Veiwt. T

The Attempt at a Solution

P = IVe2iwt=IVcos(2wt). What did I do wrong?

The instantaneous power is the product of the real voltage and the real current. The complex form of power and voltage can be used for linear operations only (addition, multiplication with constant). In general, the current and voltage need not be in phase.
The complex voltage U and complex current I are related through the complex impedance Z=Ze: U=ZI. Writing in the Euler form, I=I0eiωt, U=ZI=I0Z ei(ωt+φ)=U0ei(ωt+φ).
The instantaneous power is the product or the real part of the complex current (I(t)=I0cos(ωt) with the real part of the complex voltage U(t)=U0cos(ωt+φ)), where U0=I0Z. The problem asks the average power, so you integrate the instantaneous power for a period and divide by the period T.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
ehild said:
The complex form of power and voltage can be used for linear operations only (addition, multiplication with constant).

So this means that we can't use their complex form because whatever operators we use on them are only linear? Also, is another way to understand this is that since power & voltage are real, that means we must take their real part when doing operations with them?

gimak said:
So this means that we can't use their complex form because whatever operators we use on them are only linear? Also, is another way to understand this is that since power & voltage are real, that means we must take their real part when doing operations with them?
You can do linear operations with the complex voltages and currants, but in any other case, the real quantities should be used.

What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of alternating current (AC). It is a complex quantity that takes into account both the resistance and reactance of a circuit.

What is the difference between impedance and resistance?

Resistance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of direct current (DC), while impedance takes into account both resistance and reactance and is used to measure the opposition to the flow of AC.

What is reactance?

Reactance is the opposition to the flow of AC due to the capacitance or inductance of a circuit. It is measured in ohms and can be either capacitive or inductive.

How is impedance calculated?

Impedance is calculated using the formula Z = √(R² + X²), where R is the resistance and X is the reactance of a circuit. It is measured in ohms (Ω).

Why is impedance important?

Impedance is important because it allows us to understand how a circuit responds to AC signals and can help us design and troubleshoot electrical systems. It is also necessary for calculating power and analyzing the performance of electronic devices.