Implications of varying the definition of the derivative?

In summary, the changes to the definition of derivatives result in a function that is different in its rate of change, but is still related to the original function.
japplepie
I have been playing around with calculus for a while and I wondered what would it be like to make some changes to the definition of derivatives.

I'd like to look at the original definition of derivatives in this way (everything is in lim Δx→0):
F(x+Δx) - F(x) = F'(x) * Δx
The Δx factor ensures that the RHS remains 0 when the LHS is 0.
And we get the familiar
(F(x+Δx) - F(x)) / Δx = F'(x)

I'd like to think of it as taking infinitesimal differences over some infinitesimal interval, and I wondered what would it look like if I were to take infinitesimal ratios instead. And it came out looking like this:
F(x+Δx) / F(x) = F*(x) ^ Δx
The Δx exponent ensures that the RHS remains 1 when the LHS is 1.
Then it comes out as
(F(x+Δx) / F(x)) ^ (1/Δx) = F*(x)

I've tried to use this on one sample function, F(x) = x^2; the results are F'(x) = 2x and F*(x)=e^(2/x)

If F'(x) means the rate of change of between two things (like velocity when F(time) is position), then what does F*(x) mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take logarithms to reduce it to the concept of the derivative.

micromass said:
Take logarithms to reduce it to the concept of the derivative.
If you take the logarithm, the denominator will be the same Δx, but the numerator will have logs wrapped around it
log(F(x+Δx)) - log(F(x)) instead of F(x+Δx) - F(x).

Right, so what function are you taking the derivative of?

micromass said:
Right, so what function are you taking the derivative of?
Ohh, the function log(F(x))
-----------------------------
So this means that
log(F*(x)) = F'( log(F(x)) ) right?

What else does it imply or what else could it be applied to?

Last edited:
japplepie said:
Ohh, the function log(F(x))
-----------------------------
So this means that
log(F*(x)) = F'( log(F(x)) ) right?

What else does it imply or what else could it be applied to?
Hmm, not F'(log(F(x)), but G'(x), where G(x)=log(F(x)). But that is perhaps what you meant?
Then what is G'(x), if you use the Chain Rule?

1. What is the definition of the derivative?

The derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is defined as the slope of the tangent line at that point.

2. How does varying the definition of the derivative affect its application in different fields?

Varying the definition of the derivative can have significant implications in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, in physics, the derivative is used to calculate velocity and acceleration, so any changes in its definition would affect the accuracy of these calculations.

3. How do different definitions of the derivative compare to each other?

There are various definitions of the derivative, such as the limit definition, the difference quotient, and the geometric definition. These definitions may seem different, but they are all equivalent and can be used interchangeably in most cases.

4. Can varying the definition of the derivative lead to different results?

Yes, changing the definition of the derivative can lead to different results, especially in cases where the function is not differentiable at certain points. Different definitions may give different values for the derivative at these points, leading to different results in calculations and applications.

5. Is it important to understand the implications of varying the definition of the derivative?

Yes, it is crucial to understand the implications of varying the definition of the derivative, as it can affect the interpretation and application of the derivative in different situations. It is essential to carefully consider which definition is most appropriate for the problem at hand to ensure accurate and meaningful results.