1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit Differentiation concept help?

1. Mar 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Its not homework, i have the answer im just having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of differentiating implicitly defined functions.

the question was: x^3+y^3=3xy, find the equation of the tangent line at the point (3/2,3/2).

2. Relevant equations
    x^3+y^3=3xy

3. The attempt at a solution

so what my prof did was:
    1)x^3+y^3=3xy
    2)3x^2+3y^2(dy/dx)=3y+3x(dy/dx)

i get the part on the left, but i dont understand how he got the part on the right... :/

if anyone could just elaborate on the steps in between those two it would be much appreciated for my understanding. thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2012 #2
    ah nevermind I got it, silly really. how can i delete this thread?

4. Mar 18, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your prof used the product rule on the right side.

5. Mar 18, 2012 #4
    yeah. i feel extremely silly for asking. ive been staring at the screen for too long at these examples. any way to delete this cause its 'solved'? or do i just sort of leave it.

6. Mar 18, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh, just leave it. It's no big deal. Everybody has their silly moments. Sometimes just posting a question helps you think.

7. Mar 18, 2012 #6
    Yeah, typing it out defs helped. Alright, just gonna leave it then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook