Implicit differentiation question: can't divide a fraction divided by another

In summary, the author is trying to solve an equation that has a function with an implicit differentiation and he is stuck. He has come across the equation a few times and is now trying to simplify it. He has chosen 2xy to cancel everything and is trying to determine why 2xy times 1/(2*sqrt(y)=x*sqrt(y)). He has found that y/sqrt(y)=sqrt(y). Because sqrt(y)*sqrt(y)=y.
e_brock123

Homework Statement

I'm try to implicitly differentiate the function: xlny+√y=lnx

The Attempt at a Solution

And I got to the stage where I have: dy/dx = (1/x-lny)/(x/y+1/(2*√y)) which is where I have no idea on how to clean this up. Could someone please explain to me how to simplify a function like that?

Im not quite sure if I was heading to the right anwer but anyway the book provided the answer of
(2y-2xylny)/(2x^2+x√y).

Either way I would like to know how to simplify an equation like the one I have as I've come across it a few times.
Thanks for your help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply numerator and denominator by 2xy. Do you see how this clears the denominators on the top and bottom? Can you see why 2xy is a good choice?

I see so your chose 2xy to cancel everything, so when it comes to this situation you are allowed to choose any term that will simplify the equation? Of course as long as your multiply top and bottom.

I'm still stuck now I'm up to dy/dx = [(2y-2xyln(y)]/(2x^2+2xy√y) its so close to the answer of (2y-2xylny)/(2x^2+x√y) how do I get rid of the 2 and the y from the last bit 2xy√y?

2xy times 1/(2*sqrt(y)=x*sqrt(y), yes? And sure, you chose any factor that will simpify the result. Choose the minimal one.

Wait disregard my last attempt I made a mistake. I now have [2y-2xln(y)]/[2x^2+(xy/√y)] and I need the last bit to look like (x√y).

could I please ask why 2xy times 1/(2*sqrt(y)=x*sqrt(y)? I see the 2's cancel but what about the rest?

e_brock123 said:
could I please ask why 2xy times 1/(2*sqrt(y)=x*sqrt(y)? I see the 2's cancel but what about the rest?

y/sqrt(y)=sqrt(y). Because sqrt(y)*sqrt(y)=y. That's what sqrt means. If y is negative it doesn't really work, but that's not really the point here.

Oh yea now I got you, thanks so much for your help.

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is not expressed explicitly in terms of its independent variable. It involves differentiating both sides of an equation with respect to the variable of interest and then solving for the derivative.

2. How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is expressed explicitly in terms of its independent variable. Implicit differentiation, on the other hand, is used when the function is not expressed explicitly and requires the use of the chain rule and other differentiation rules.

3. Can you provide an example of an implicit differentiation problem?

One example of an implicit differentiation problem is finding the derivative of y with respect to x, given the equation x^2 + y^2 = 25. The solution involves differentiating both sides with respect to x and then solving for dy/dx.

4. Can you divide a fraction by another in implicit differentiation?

Yes, you can divide a fraction by another in implicit differentiation. However, it is important to keep in mind that the quotient rule applies when differentiating fractions, and the chain rule must also be used if the variables are not explicitly expressed.

5. What happens when you can't divide a fraction by another in implicit differentiation?

If you encounter a situation where you can't divide a fraction by another in implicit differentiation, it is likely due to a mistake in the application of the quotient rule or the chain rule. Double check your calculations and make sure to follow the rules for differentiation carefully.