1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit differentiation question

1. Oct 8, 2006 #1
    I have this question in which I know I probably have to use implicit differentiation but I have no idea how to do this can someone give me a hint to get started. all the implicit differentiation problems I have done only have a combination of x and y but this one has x, y and t.

find dy/dx for x = 4sint, y= 4cost

thanks in advance...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2006 #2
    Those are parametric equations. So [tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}} [/tex]

4. Oct 8, 2006 #3
    Ohh ok soo... this is what I did

d/dt x = d/dt 4sint
    dx/dt = 4cost

d/dt y = d/dt 4cost
    dy/dt = -4sint

dy/dx = -4sint/4cost
    = -tant

does that look right?

5. Oct 8, 2006 #4
    yep, that is correct.

6. Oct 8, 2006 #5
    thanks a lot!!!

7. Oct 8, 2006 #6
    I have another similar question... i was wondering if you could help me out

so now i have a problem in "related rates" and I have to use the volume of a cylinder formula.

v = pi * r^2 * h

rate of change of the radius (dr/dt) is given and the rate of change of the height (dh/dt) is given. I am supposed to find the rate of change of the volume (dv/dt). so i thought finding the d/dt of each side of the above equation will get me the answer but i dont know how to differentiate the right side.... this is what i am looking at

d/dt v = d/dt (pi * r^2 * h)

can you help me?

Thanks in advance

8. Oct 8, 2006 #7
    So [tex] V = \pi r^{2}h [/tex]. Then [tex] \frac{dV}{dt} = 2\pi r \frac{dh}{dt} [/tex]. You have to eliminate one of the variables by using similar triangles. So [tex] \frac{r}{h} = \frac{x}{y} [/tex].

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  9. Oct 8, 2006 #8
    but then i wont be able to use dr/dt. Why would they give me dr/dt in the problem.

10. Oct 8, 2006 #9
    Whoops, it should be [tex] \frac{dV}{dt} = \pi r^{2} \frac{dh}{dt} + 2r\pi h \frac{dr}{dt} [/tex].

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  11. Oct 8, 2006 #10
    ok that makes sense... i just wanted to be sure i did it right because the answer is a big number. this is the question...

the question is:
    The radius of a right circular cylinder is increasing at the rate of 6in/sec, while the height is decreasing at the rate of 8in/sec. at what rate is the volume of the cylinder changing when the radius is 13in and the height is 12 in.

so i used your help and plugged in the values

dv/dt = (3.14 * 13^2 * -8) + (2 * 13 * 3.14 * 12 * 6)
    = 1633.6 in^3/sec

its kind of a big number but i guess it is normal for volume to increase at that rate.. i dont know... what do you think.

12. Oct 8, 2006 #11
    its correct

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?