Implicit Function Thm Application

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving the equation x2-4x+2y2-yz = 1 for each of its variables, near the point (2,-1,3). The solution involves using the inverse function theorem and the standard quadratic formula to solve for y and x, respectively. The resulting values of x and y have certain conditions, including a square root vanishing at (y,z) = (-1,3). The conversation also mentions considering the other variables, x and z, as constants when solving for y.
trap101
Investigate the possibility of solving x2-4x+2y2-yz = 1 for each of its variables in terms of the other two near the point (2,-1,3).

Attempt:

Ok so using the IFT I was able to determine that I can only slze for y,z. But in the question they ask me to solve for y and z. z was not problem, but y, they got a solution like this:

y = (z - [z2+8(1-x2+4x)]1/2) / 4

as well they said x = 2 (+ or -) [5-2y2+yz]1/2 and the square root vanishes at (y,z) = (-1,3) so there are two values of “ for some nearby values of and
and none for others.

Question: How did they solve for y? (What bloody algebra trick did they use that I'm not seeing? and how did those conditions on x appear?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi trap101! :smile:
trap101 said:
x2-4x+2y2-yz = 1

y = (z - [z2+8(1-x2+4x)]1/2) / 4

that's the standard -b ± √etc formula :wink:
as well they said x = 2 (+ or -) [5-2y2+yz]1/2 and the square root vanishes at (y,z) = (-1,3) so there are two values of “ for some nearby values of and
and none for others.

your typing hasn't come out :redface:

trap101 said:
as well they said x = 2 (+ or -) [5-2y2+yz]1/2 and the square root vanishes at (y,z) = (-1,3) so there are two values of “ for some nearby values of and ��
and none for others.

there are two values of x for some nearby values of y and z
and none for others.
Well after doing the mechanics for solving for y, I guess in that sort of scenario I should assume the other "variables" in this case x, z are just constants?

Last edited:
trap101 said:
Well after doing the mechanics for solving for y, I guess in that sort of scenario I should assume the other "variables" in this case x, z are just constants?

yup! :biggrin:

thnks again and won't be the last time, unless I get struck by lightning and all of a sudden I become a genius

1. What is the Implicit Function Theorem (IFT)?

The Implicit Function Theorem (IFT) is a mathematical theorem that relates to the existence and differentiability of implicit functions. It states that under certain conditions, a function defined implicitly by an equation can be differentiated to find its derivative.

2. How is the Implicit Function Theorem applied in science?

The Implicit Function Theorem has many applications in science, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used to solve equations involving multiple variables, and to find the derivatives of these functions. It is also used in optimization problems and in the analysis of complex systems.

3. What are the conditions for the Implicit Function Theorem to hold?

The Implicit Function Theorem holds under three main conditions: the function must be continuous, the equation must have at least one solution, and the partial derivative of the function with respect to the dependent variable must be non-zero at the solution point.

4. Can the Implicit Function Theorem be used for functions with more than two variables?

Yes, the Implicit Function Theorem can be extended to functions with any number of variables. However, the conditions for the theorem to hold become more complex and may require additional assumptions.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Implicit Function Theorem?

The Implicit Function Theorem has certain limitations, such as only being applicable to continuous functions and requiring certain assumptions to hold. It also may not be useful in cases where the equation has multiple or infinite solutions. Additionally, it may not provide a unique solution in some cases, requiring further analysis or additional techniques to find a solution.