1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit Function Thm Application

1. Jul 6, 2012 #1
    Investigate the possibility of solving x2-4x+2y2-yz = 1 for each of its variables in terms of the other two near the point (2,-1,3).

Attempt:

Ok so using the IFT I was able to determine that I can only slze for y,z. But in the question they ask me to solve for y and z. z was not problem, but y, they got a solution like this:

y = (z - [z2+8(1-x2+4x)]1/2) / 4

as well they said x = 2 (+ or -) [5-2y2+yz]1/2 and the square root vanishes at (y,z) = (-1,3) so there are two values of “ for some nearby values of and
    and none for others.

Question: How did they solve for y? (What bloody algebra trick did they use that I'm not seeing? and how did those conditions on x appear?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi trap101! :smile:
    that's the standard -b ± √etc formula :wink:
    your typing hasn't come out :redface:

4. Jul 6, 2012 #3
    there are two values of x for some nearby values of y and z
    and none for others.

Well after doing the mechanics for solving for y, I guess in that sort of scenario I should assume the other "variables" in this case x, z are just constants?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  5. Jul 7, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yup! :biggrin:

6. Jul 7, 2012 #5
    thnks again and won't be the last time, unless I get struck by lightning and all of a sudden I become a genius

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook