Importance of General GRE scores

In summary, the subject test is more important than the general GRE scores for getting into grad school for mathematics. It is recommended to focus all energy on studying for the subject test, as a high score on that can compensate for a lower score on the general. However, it is still important to do well on the general and it is recommended to take a practice test before the actual test date. With minimal preparation, a score of 780-800 on the math section is achievable.
metasoarous
I'm wanting to get a sense from folks about how important the General GRE scores are if you do well on the subject test (specifically for getting into grad school for mathematics). My imagination tells me that the subject test is WAY more important than the general, and as the October dates are coming up very soon, I'm tempted to focus all of my energy on the subject. My guess is that without studying for the general I would do decently (killing the math section at least) - as long as I don't look like a complete dunce, would a knockout subject test score do the trick? Looking to get some good feedback from folks who have gone through this sort of thing, or better yet, are on application review boards. I'm sure every school is different, and obviously it behooves to do as well as I can on every test I take, but it's also good to have a sense for weighting what matters the most.

Cheers

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, the subject test is much more important and you should spend all of your time studying for that.
As for the general, without studying at all you should get an 800 on the math section (it's similar to the SAT/ACT math section) and your scores for verbal/writing really don't matter as long as they're not abysmal.

That's good to hear.

Thanks

Take the practice test your given when you register for the test and see how you do. A poor general math score will look bad. Don't assume you'll walk in and get an 800 without even doing a bit of studying. I had a friend who was a math major that did that and did a miserable (for math majors) 700.
That being said with minimal preparation (read: not none) you should be fine to make 780-800

I understand the importance of standardized tests such as the GRE in the graduate school admissions process. However, I also recognize that these scores are just one aspect of a larger application package and should not be the sole determinant of admission.

In terms of the General GRE scores, it is true that they are not as heavily weighted as the subject test in the field of mathematics. Admissions committees are typically more interested in your knowledge and skills in your specific field of study, which is reflected in the subject test score. However, this does not mean that the General GRE scores are not important at all.

A strong score on the General GRE can still demonstrate your overall academic aptitude and potential for success in graduate school. It also provides a benchmark for comparison among applicants from different backgrounds. Therefore, I would recommend dedicating some time and effort to studying for the General GRE, in addition to focusing on the subject test.

Ultimately, the weight given to each test score may vary from school to school. It is always best to check with the specific programs you are interested in to see how they evaluate GRE scores in their admissions process. And remember, a high score on the subject test alone may not guarantee admission, as other factors such as letters of recommendation, research experience, and personal statements also play a significant role in the decision-making process.

In conclusion, while the subject test may hold more weight in the field of mathematics, it is still important to do your best on both the General GRE and subject test to present a well-rounded application to graduate schools. Good luck with your studies and application process!

1. What is the purpose of the General GRE exam?

The General GRE exam is designed to assess a student's readiness for graduate-level education. It measures skills in verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing to determine a student's ability to succeed in graduate school.

2. How important are GRE scores in the graduate school admissions process?

GRE scores are just one aspect of the graduate school admissions process. They are often used as a benchmark to compare applicants, but they are not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Other components, such as letters of recommendation, personal statements, and undergraduate GPA, are also taken into account.

3. Do all graduate programs require GRE scores?

No, not all graduate programs require GRE scores. Some programs, such as law or medical school, have their own entrance exams. Additionally, some graduate programs may offer waivers for the GRE under certain circumstances, such as if a student has significant work experience in their field.

4. How do GRE scores affect funding opportunities?

In some cases, GRE scores may be used to determine scholarship or fellowship opportunities. However, funding decisions are typically based on a combination of factors, including academic achievements, research experience, and personal statements.

5. Can GRE scores be improved through studying?

Yes, GRE scores can be improved through focused studying and preparation. There are many resources available, such as practice tests and study guides, to help students prepare for the exam. It is important to start studying early and to create a study plan to improve GRE scores.