Importing entire script instead of function

• Python
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, we discussed a question about the behavior of a Python script that imports a function from another script. The script being imported contained code outside of function definitions, which caused it to run and produce unexpected output. We explored the concept of how importing a module in Python executes all of the code within that module, including function definitions. It is recommended to use the if __name__ == '__main__' idiom to prevent unexpected code from running when importing a module.
member 428835
Hello

I have a script a13_roman2num.py that reads
Python:
def value(r):

if (r == 'I'):
        return 1
    if (r == 'V'):
        return 5
    if (r == 'X'):
        return 10
    if (r == 'L'):
        return 50
    if (r == 'C'):
        return 100
    if (r == 'D'):
        return 500
    if (r == 'M'):
        return 1000
    return

def romanToDecimal(str):
    i   = 0;
    res = 0;

while i < len(str):
        if i + 1 < len(str):
            if value(str[i]) < value(str[i+1]):
                res += value(str[i+1]) - value(str[i])
                i += 2
            else:
                res += value(str[i])
                i += 1
        else:
            res += value(str[i])
            i += 1

return res

# DRIVER CODE
str = "MCMIV"
print(romanToDecimal(str))

and another script a12.py that runs
Python:
from a13_roman2num import value

For some reason when I run a12.py the output prints 1904. Why is a12.py running the entire script a13_roman2num.py instead of just importing the function I'm asking for?

Thanks so much!

Technology news on Phys.org
This is a good question. I confirm the same behavior you see. I would not have expected it to do that. If you put the 3 statements at the end inside a function, like main() for example, then it doesn't do that. I guess it has to do with the details of how the import function works. This link gives some details, but doesn't really answer your question.
https://docs.python.org/3/reference/import.html

Likes member 428835
jedishrfu said:
Isn’t that why programmers use the

Code:
    if __name__ == ‘__main__’:
        print(…)

coding scheme to prevent the code outside all functions in a13 from runnning?

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/if-name-main-python-example/
Okay, this makes sense. But does this mean every time I write a script I need to have
Code:
        print(…)
preceding all executions to ensure if I'm calling on a function from that script I don't import the executions as well?

Maybe the answer is that it needs to run the code outside of the functions in order to bring in any imports you have. For example, if you have:
Python:
import numpy as np

def Sqrt(x):
    return np.sqrt(x)

And you then want to import the function Sqrt() into another python script, you would expect it to run the import statement or else the Sqrt() function won't work. So it may be set up to run anything outside of def statements when it does the import.

Likes member 428835
joshmccraney said:
For some reason when I run a12.py the output prints 1904. Why is a12.py running the entire script a13_roman2num.py instead of just importing the function I'm asking for?
What's the full text of a12.py? All you showed was just the import statement.

joshmccraney said:
Why is a12.py running the entire script a13_roman2num.py instead of just importing the function I'm asking for?
Because when you import a module, which is what your Python file that includes the value function is, all of the code in that module gets executed. Note that this includes function definitions: function definitions are executed at runtime in Python. So even if the only code your module included was function definitions, all of them would get executed when you imported the module, not just the value function that you want to use.

However, your module does not just include function definitions. It also includes statements. Those statements will get executed every time you import the module. If you don't want that, you need to use the if __name__ == '__main__' idiom that @jedishrfu referred to.

Likes member 428835
phyzguy said:
Maybe the answer is that it needs to run the code outside of the functions in order to bring in any imports you have.
The answer is that when you import a module in Python, all of the code in that module runs, as I said in post #7. That is how Python works.

Likes phyzguy
Mark44 said:
What's the full text of a12.py? All you showed was just the import statement.
Wouldn't matter. The import statement alone is sufficient to produce the observed behavior.

Likes member 428835
joshmccraney said:
But does this mean every time I write a script I need to have
Code:
        print(…)
preceding all executions to ensure if I'm calling on a function from that script I don't import the executions as well?
It is a good general practice to not have any top-level code (i.e., code not inside a function or class definition) in a module (and every script is a module), other than import statements. So yes, it is good practice to put any top-level code inside an if __name__ == '__main__' block. There are cases where you do need to have top-level code inside a module and not in such a block, but they are rare.

Likes member 428835
We often use the trick to add test code to a script that is only run when the script is invoked directly. When imported the test code is skipped.

Likes member 428835
Just to reiterate what others have said, imagine a module
Python:
# Module foo.py
def x():
    return y()
def y()
    return "y"
If the python developers had tried to implement from foo import x as only compiling the function x then a call to x() wouldn't work because it wouldn't have heard of y.

Last edited:
Likes phyzguy
Or if your a13_roman2num.py code enclosed the driver code in a function definition, then importing it would only define the function, rather than executing the driver code.

Here's what works for me.

I changed the name of a13_roman2num.py to mccraney_module.py. I also removed the driver code from it.

I placed the driver code in a script named mccraney_main.py:
Python:
from mccraney_module import romanToDecimal

str = "MCMIV"
print(romanToDecimal(str))
Output is 1904

If I add this line to code immediately above...
Python:
print(value(str[0]))
I get "NameError: name "value" is not defined."
This shows that only the label romanToDecimal is being imported, which is what you would expect from the import statement.

Likes member 428835 and jim mcnamara
Thank you all for the detailed explanations. I have a much better idea what is going on.

Mark44 said:
This shows that only the label romanToDecimal is being imported
Only that name is imported into the namespace of the module "mcraney_main.py". But note that all of the function definitions in "a13_roman2num.py" are still executed by the interpreter and are still in the namespace of the module "a13_roman2num.py" (as you can verify by looking up that module in sys.modules and seeing what attributes it has).

Mark44 said:
Here's what works for me.
The same thing could be accomplished, as has already been mentioned, by putting the "driver code" in "a13_roman2num.py" in an if __name__ == '__main__' block. Which solution is preferred would depend on the specific use case: do you want to be able to run "a13_roman2num.py" itself as a script, or is it OK to have the "driver code" in a separate script and have "a13_roman2num.py" only be useful as an imported module?

PeterDonis said:
The same thing could be accomplished, as has already been mentioned, by putting the "driver code" in "a13_roman2num.py" in an if __name__ == '__main__' block. Which solution is preferred would depend on the specific use case: do you want to be able to run "a13_roman2num.py" itself as a script, or is it OK to have the "driver code" in a separate script and have "a13_roman2num.py" only be useful as an imported module?
My preference would be to separate out the functions and possibly initialization code into modules that are imported into other scripts, but not run on their own.

Mark44 said:
My preference would be to separate out the functions and possibly initialization code into modules that are imported into other scripts, but not run on their own.
Yes, and that's a common pattern. But there are use cases where it makes sense to have a module be both runnable as a script and importable by other modules. (The Python interpreter has the -m switch to make it easy to run modules as scripts for this reason.)

1. Why would you want to import an entire script instead of just a function?

There are a few reasons why someone might want to import an entire script instead of just a function. One reason is that the script contains multiple functions or other code that is needed for the desired functionality. Another reason is that importing the entire script can save time and effort, as it eliminates the need to import each individual function separately.

2. How do you import an entire script in a programming language?

The specific method for importing an entire script may vary depending on the programming language, but it generally involves using an import statement or command. This will typically include the name of the script or the specific file path where the script is located. Some programming languages also allow for the use of wildcard characters to indicate that the entire script should be imported.

3. Are there any drawbacks to importing an entire script?

Yes, there can be drawbacks to importing an entire script instead of just a function. One potential drawback is that it can lead to longer load times or slower performance, especially if the script is large or contains a lot of code that is not needed for the desired functionality. Additionally, importing an entire script can make it more difficult to troubleshoot and debug issues, as there may be more code to sift through.

4. Can you selectively import specific functions from an imported script?

Yes, some programming languages allow for selective importing of specific functions from an imported script. This can be useful if you only need certain functions from the script and do not want to import the entire thing. However, this may not be possible in all programming languages, so it is important to check the documentation for the specific language you are using.

5. Are there any best practices for deciding whether to import an entire script or just a function?

It is generally recommended to only import the specific functions that are needed for the desired functionality, rather than importing an entire script. This can help improve performance and make it easier to debug issues. However, if the script contains multiple functions that are all needed, it may be more efficient to import the entire script. It ultimately depends on the specific use case and the preferences of the programmer.