Impressive harmonic motion demonstration

In summary, 15 pendulums create various patterns, some of which are described as beating or aliasing. The rule for the pattern depends on the decrement in the pendulum lengths.
Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The YouTube video here will get you to think a bit. Basically, 15 separate pendulums that create various patterns:
The period of one complete cycle of the dance is 60 seconds. The length of the longest pendulum has been adjusted so that it executes 51 oscillations in this 60 second period. The length of each successive shorter pendulum is carefully adjusted so that it executes one additional oscillation in this period. Thus, the 15th pendulum (shortest) undergoes 65 oscillations.
I wonder though if you could say how many given patterns are created. Not sure how to describe that... what do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess we should start with defining "pattern".

In the past I was playing with some strange curves plotted on the screen, varying their phase differences and so on. Effects can be mesmerizing.

Borek said:
I guess we should start with defining "pattern".
How about this. Let's call the position of anyone of the balls a maximum when it is at a maximum potential energy (highest upward motion) and a minimum when it is at a lowest potential energy (hanging straight down). Given these two locations, a pattern might be defined as a state at which all the balls are either at a maximum or minimum and not somewhere in between.

Any other ideas for defining a pattern? And once the pattern is defined, I wonder how many there could be in the course of 60 seconds... my brain is refusing to even consider the math right now. :yuck:

Edit: Watching the movie again, I don't think that definition of a pattern is going to work! hmmm...

Last edited:
As the article says, it is an example of aliasing or beating, rather than SHM or a 'wave'. The position of each of the balls is observed relative to a 'timebase', set by the front one.
It is fun to watch but very easy to misinterpret, I think.
The rule for the pattern depends on the decrement in the pendulum lengths. They have done a lot of trial and error, I think, to get such a lovely demo.

This is an impressive demonstration of harmonic motion and the relationship between pendulum length and period. By carefully adjusting the lengths of each pendulum, the creators were able to create a visually stunning display of various patterns. It is a great example of how the principles of physics can be applied in a creative and artistic way. As for how many patterns are created, that would depend on how you define a pattern. Are you referring to the visual patterns created by the pendulums, or the mathematical patterns in the number of oscillations each pendulum undergoes? Either way, it is clear that a lot of thought and precision went into creating this demonstration.

1. What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object or system repeats the same pattern of movement over and over again. It is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium.

2. How is harmonic motion demonstrated?

Harmonic motion can be demonstrated using a simple pendulum, a mass-spring system, or a rotating wheel. These systems exhibit periodic motion due to the presence of a restoring force.

3. What are the key components of an impressive harmonic motion demonstration?

An impressive harmonic motion demonstration should have a clear and observable oscillatory motion, a well-defined equilibrium position, and a consistent period of oscillation. It should also have a visual or auditory element to engage the audience.

4. How does harmonic motion relate to everyday phenomena?

Many everyday phenomena, such as the swinging of a pendulum, the motion of a swing, or the vibration of a guitar string, can be described as harmonic motion. Understanding the principles of harmonic motion can help us understand and predict these phenomena.

5. What are some real-world applications of harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and music. It is used in the design of shock absorbers, musical instruments, and even earthquake-resistant buildings. Understanding harmonic motion is also crucial in fields such as signal processing and control systems.