1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper integral concept question

1. Mar 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For what values of K is the following integral improper?

[tex]\int\stackrel{K}{0}x^2 / (x^2-19x+90) dx[/tex]

I'm stuck on this question. I understand mechanically, that the integration require partial fraction decomp, which results in -9ln(x-9) (from 0 to K) + 10ln(x-10) (from 0 to K). What I don't understand is what makes this integral improper. I understand that LN is undefined for all evaluations < 1. So does this mean that any K < 10 will create an improper integral?

EDIT: How does one properly display the upper and lower limits on the integration symbol?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2011 #2
    To get the limits right use \int_0^K instead of stackrel.

As for the question itself, you might want to draw a sketch of the function.

4. Mar 30, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

An integral may be "improper" for one of several reasons-
    1) The lower limit is [itex]-\infty[/itex].
    2) The upper limit is [itex]\infty[/itex].
    3) The integrand goes to [itex]-\infty[/itex] at some point in the interval of integration.
    4) The integrand goes to [itex]\infty[/itex] at some point in the interval of integration.

Which of those can happen here?

What values of x make the denominator of the integrand 0?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?