Problem showing dilogarithm integral is -pi^2/6

• Thread starter aheight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Log.sup.y:$$\begin{align*}&=\lim_{\epsilon\to 0^+}\int_{\epsilon}^{1-\epsilon}\frac{\text{Log}(y-1)-\pi i}{y}dy\\&=\lim_{\epsilon\to 0^+}\int_{\epsilon}^{1-\epsilon}\frac{\text{Log}(1-y)+\pi i-\pi i}{y}dy\\\end{align*}Which gives us:$$\begin{align*}&=\lim
aheight
Homework Statement
I am having problems showing an integral converges to -Pi^2/6
Relevant Equations
Li_2(1)
I am working with the Dilogarithm function and am having problems showing the following and was wondering if someone could help:
$$
\int_0^1\int_0^y\left(\frac{1}{x-1}\right)\left(\frac{1}{y}\right)dxdy=-\frac{\pi^2}{6}
$$
This is what I have so far:

Iterating the first level:
$$
\begin{align*}
&=\int_0^1\frac{1}{y}\biggr(\text{Log}(x-1)\biggr|_0^y\biggr)dy\\
&=\int_0^1\frac{1}{y}\biggr(\frac{\text{Log}(y-1)-\pi i}{y}\biggr)dy
\end{align*}
$$
which is now improper so I can write:
$$
\begin{align*}
&=\lim_{\epsilon\to 0^+}\int_{\epsilon}^{1-\epsilon}\frac{\text{Log}(y-1)-\pi i}{y}dy\\
&=\lim_{\epsilon\to 0^+}\biggr\{\int_{\epsilon}^{1-\epsilon}\frac{\text{Log}(y-1)}{y}dy+\pi i\text{Log}(\epsilon)\biggr\}
\end{align*}
$$
and an this point I'm stuck. I realize the integral is equal to the special function ##-\text{Li}_2(1)## but I'd like to prove it by evaluating the limit above unless there is a more standard approach of doing so. Perhaps a more straight-forward question would be "How does one show ##\text{Li}_2(1)=-\frac{\pi^2}{6}##?"

MENTOR NOTE: see post #6 for a correction to this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The integral is calculated to
[tex]-\int_0^1 \frac{\log(1-y)}{y}dy[/tex]
Why do not you exchange log(1-y) with its Maclaurin expansion?

Likes aheight
anuttarasammyak said:
Thanks. I can convert it to the expansion but before I do, I don't understand how you're equating the two integrals. As I see it,
$$
\int_0^1 \frac{\log(y-1)}{y}dy=\int_0^1 \frac{\log(1-y)+\pi i}{y}dy
$$

Could you please explain how you got your expression?

Given that ##\sum n^{-2}= \pi^2/6## I would try to use Riemann sums and the Cauchy product of series, or Cauchy's integral formula with a contour that avoids ##1##.

Likes aheight
anuttarasammyak said:

One small thing... why is there a minus sign here? I thought considering that ##|y-1| = (1-y)## for ##y \in [0,1]##, we'd have
$$
\begin{align*}
\int_0^1 \int_0^y \left(\frac{1}{x-1}\right) \left(\frac{1}{y} \right) \mathrm{d}x \mathrm{d}y = \int_0^1 \frac{\ln|y-1|}{y} \mathrm{d}y = \int_0^1 \frac{\ln(1-y)}{y} \mathrm{d}y
\end{align*}
$$Then as you say we could just re-write ##\ln(1-y) = -\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{y^k}{k}## to get$$\int_0^1 \frac{\ln(1-y)}{y} \mathrm{d}y = - \sum_{k=1} \int_0^1 \frac{y^{k-1}}{k} \mathrm{d}y = - \sum_{k=1} \left[ \frac{y^{k}}{k^2} \right]_0^1 = - \sum_{k=1} \frac{1}{k^2} = - \frac{\pi^2}{6}$$

Likes anuttarasammyak and aheight
I think I understand how the ##\log(y-1)## gets converted to ##\log(1-y)##. Considering the expression:
$$
\begin{align*}
&=\lim_{\epsilon\to 0^+}\int_{\epsilon}^{1-\epsilon}\frac{\text{Log}(y-1)-\pi i}{y}dy\\
&=\lim_{\epsilon\to 0^+}\int_{\epsilon}^{1-\epsilon}\frac{\text{Log}(1-y)+\pi i-\pi i}{y}dy\\
\end{align*}
$$
and then use the series expansion as per etotheipi above where I'm distinguishing the principal branch of ##\log## by Log.

1. What is a dilogarithm integral?

A dilogarithm integral is a mathematical function that is defined as the integral of the natural logarithm of a complex number. It is also known as the Spence's function or the logarithmic integral.

2. What does it mean for the dilogarithm integral to be equal to -pi^2/6?

When the dilogarithm integral is equal to -pi^2/6, it means that the area under the curve of the natural logarithm function from 1 to 2 is equal to -pi^2/6. This is a special value that has important applications in mathematics and physics.

3. Why is it important to show that the dilogarithm integral is equal to -pi^2/6?

Showing that the dilogarithm integral is equal to -pi^2/6 is important because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of this function. It also has important applications in various fields such as number theory, physics, and engineering.

4. How is the proof of the dilogarithm integral being equal to -pi^2/6 derived?

The proof of the dilogarithm integral being equal to -pi^2/6 is derived using complex analysis and techniques such as contour integration. It involves manipulating and evaluating complex integrals to arrive at the desired result.

5. What are the practical applications of the dilogarithm integral being equal to -pi^2/6?

The dilogarithm integral being equal to -pi^2/6 has various practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and number theory. It is used in the evaluation of certain physical quantities, in solving differential equations, and in the study of special functions.