Improper integrals

• I
  • Thread starter FS98
  • Start date
I understand what improper integrals are, but are they really integrals? The semantics are just a bit confusing.

Answers and Replies

I understand what improper integrals are, but are they really integrals? The semantics are just a bit confusing.
An integral ##\int f(x)\,dx## is a solution to ##F(x)'=f(x)##.
As long as there are no boundary conditions to this differential equation, many solutions are possible. Nevertheless, they still have to solve the equation. As such they are a kind of generic solution, the set of possible flows if you like, which we call improper integral (I think; here it is call undetermined). Fixing a boundary condition means to determine a single flow of the vector field, a single solution. So in a way, generic would be the better word, but that's semantics.

Likes FS98
As long as there are no boundary conditions to this differential equation, many solutions are possible. Nevertheless, they still have to solve the equation. As such they are a kind of generic solution, the set of possible flows if you like, which we call improper integral (I think; here it is call undetermined). Fixing a boundary condition means to determine a single flow of the vector field, a single solution. So in a way, generic would be the better word, but that's semantics.
Wouldn’t that definition of an integral rule out definite integrals as integrals?

material-M9SEYXSy.png

https://www.geogebra.org/m/M9SEYXSy

Do arbitrary paths through this vector field deserve the name solution or only the unique blue one, which required a deliberate choice? That's a discussion for a Wittgenstein seminar, not a matter of mathematics. The word integral refers to a solution and it serves its purpose. Nobody would benefit from a distinction here other than in the adjective. It still distinguishes all routes through this field, which do not follow a flow.

Attachments

Hi,
I do believe that is an indefinite integral.
An improper integral on the other hand is defined as an integral that has these:

1. One or both of the limits of integration are
[tex] \pm \infty [/tex]

and/ or:

2. The function is not bounded over the domain of integration.

[tex]
\forall x \in \text[a,b] \,\, \, \nexists \text{m} \in \mathbb{R} \, \, \text{s.t} \, \, |f(x)| \le \text{m}
[/tex]

To solve improper integrals, one has to use limits.
The example above is of an indefinite integral.
This is an example of an improper integral:

[tex] \displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{5} \frac{1}{x} dx =
\displaystyle\lim_{b \to -\infty} \displaystyle \int_{b}^{5} \frac{1}{x} dx
[/tex]

Last edited:
which we call improper integral (I think; here it is call undetermined).
Maybe you're confusing the English terms "indefinite integral" and "improper integral."

I do believe that is an indefinite integral.
Yes, I agree, and I agree with your definition of an improper integral.

Maybe you're confusing the English terms "indefinite integral" and "improper integral."
Yes, I did. I couldn't imagine or have forgotten that there is a certain name for integrals with ##\pm \infty## as boundaries. And "undetermined" as literal translation is of course basically the same word as indefinite. Thanks.

Yes they are integrals, just that they require limits to be solved. I suggest you google Riemann sum. I think the reason they are called improper is because the summation uses limits, I am not sure as to the why they are named so.

Here is the simplest example, again:
[tex] \displaystyle \int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{e^{x} } dx =
\displaystyle\lim_{b \to \infty} \displaystyle \int_{1}^{b} \frac{1}{e^{x} } dx = [ \displaystyle\lim_{b \to \infty} \left(-\frac{1}{e^{b} } \right)] -[ - \frac{1}{e}] = \frac{1}{e}
[/tex]

Last edited: