Impulse applied to a disk at the end of a pole

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a disk and a pole, where an external force causes a change in angular momentum. The equations ΔG ⋅r = J ω and Jdiskωdisk = J poleωpole are mentioned, along with two other equations for calculating ω and mv. There is some confusion about the calculations and the use of angular momentum in reference to an axis. The conversation ends with a discussion about the distribution of energy in the system.
srecko97

Homework Statement

May I ask you something about a task from the last years test at faculty of mathematics and physics, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia ...
There is a disk at the end of a pole. We cause some F dt tangentally on the disk, which causes the change of momentum. I need to calculate ω for pole and for disk too. I have given mass of a pole and mass of a disk and also length and radius.
http://Fdt causes the change of angular inertia ΔG ⋅r = J ω Is it Ok if i first calculate the ω of disk and than put into equation that Jdiskωdisk = J poleωpole or is it Jdiskωdisk+J poleωpole=ΔG ⋅r and the second equation Jdiskωdisk2 +J poleωpole2=mv2 but i do not know v ... I do not have answers so i am so sceptical about my calculation "os A" means axis in point A I would be really greatful if you answer me. If you can't, it is ok too.[/PLAIN]
Capture.jpg

Homework Equations

ΔG ⋅r = J ω

The Attempt at a Solution

Fdt causes the change of angular inertia
ΔG ⋅r = J ω

Is it Ok if i first calculate the ω of disk and than put into equation that Jdiskωdisk = J poleωpole

or is it Jdiskωdisk+J poleωpole=ΔG ⋅(r+L)
and the second equation Jdiskωdisk2 +J poleωpole2=mv2

but i do not know v ...
I do not have answers so i am so sceptical about my calculation
"os A" means axis in point A

I would be really greatful if you answer me. If you can't, it is ok too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the disk fixed to the pole?
Is the end of the pole fixed?

the end of the pole can rotate around axis "os A" in the picture. The disk can rotate around the end of the pole

srecko97 said:
Jdiskωdisk = J poleωpole
On what basis?
srecko97 said:
Jdiskωdisk+J poleωpole=ΔG ⋅(r+L)
Yes, but be careful. Angular momentum is always in reference to some axis. Make sure you are using the same axis throughout the equation.
srecko97 said:
Jdiskωdisk2 +J poleωpole2=mv2
Again, on what basis? Why would the imparted energy be shared in exactly this way?

there is no other energy after except 2 rotational energies. At the biginning it is only mv2/2

srecko97 said:
there is no other energy after except 2 rotational energies. At the biginning it is only mv2/2
At the beginning there is no energy. Then there is an impulse, and suddenly there are energies. You can count these in various different ways, e.g. the disc and the rod each having rotational KE about their centres, and also having the linear KEs of their mass centres; or you could take the rod as just having rotational KE about one end, etc. But I see no basis for writing any kind of energy balance equation here.

1. What is impulse applied to a disk at the end of a pole?

Impulse applied to a disk at the end of a pole is a physical phenomenon that occurs when an external force is exerted on a disk at the end of a pole, causing a change in its momentum.

2. How is impulse calculated?

Impulse is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the amount of time the force is applied. It is represented by the equation I = FΔt, where I is impulse, F is force, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What are the effects of an impulse on a disk at the end of a pole?

The effects of an impulse on a disk at the end of a pole depend on the magnitude and direction of the force applied. It can cause the disk to accelerate, change its direction of movement, or change its rotational motion.

4. How is impulse related to momentum?

Impulse and momentum are closely related, as they both describe the movement of an object. Impulse is the change in momentum, while momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity. This relationship is represented by the equation I = Δp, where I is impulse and Δp is change in momentum.

5. What is the significance of studying impulse applied to a disk at the end of a pole?

Studying impulse applied to a disk at the end of a pole allows scientists to understand how forces affect the motion of objects. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports science, where the movement of objects and bodies is of great importance.