Impulse, momentum and efficiency to find height formula

In summary, the problem involves a ramp system with an efficiency of 82%. Two cars of equal mass collide, with car 1 starting from rest at height h1. The two cars stick together and coast to a height of h2. The formula relating h1 to h2 is to be derived using the equations for kinetic and potential energy, as well as the concept of efficiency as input/output. However, the efficiency may be difficult to quantify in this real-life situation, and it may be easier to assume ideal conditions with no friction.
Neutrinoftw
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/388044_10150449591037412_816037411_8386849_1415117382_n.jpg

Homework Statement

A ramp system is set up. Due to friction the ramp has an efficiency of 82%. Two cars of equal mass are allowed to collide and car 1 starts from rest at height h1. The two stick together and coast to a height of h2. Derive a formula relating h1 to h2.

Homework Equations

I=Δp, p=m*v, eff=(output/input)*100%, GPE=mgh,

The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately, I cannot figure out almost anything based on this question. Even my friend's father, who is an engineer, could not understand. Just looking for some good help if anyone is available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First things first, what is the speed car 1 just before impact? It's kinetic energy is not mgh_1 but some fraction of that.

Spinnor said:
First things first, what is the speed car 1 just before impact? It's kinetic energy is not mgh_1 but some fraction of that.

First things first, but not necessarily in that order*

What is the definition of efficiency to apply? Final system energy over initial system energy? Final velocity over ideal velocity? Something else?

* Doctor Who

I would calculate kinetic energy (it is not the same as the potential energy, since the efficiency is less than 100%). Then, I would find speed, and later calculate the speed after the inelastic collision. Then, I would use conservation of energy.

Gneill, I think that efficiency here refers to energy; in other words, only 82% initially available energy is useful, and the other 18% is converted to other forms of energy.

BetoG93 said:
Gneill, I think that efficiency here refers to energy; in other words, only 82% initially available energy is useful, and the other 18% is converted to other forms of energy.

Okay, suppose it is so. Can you suggest how the efficiency might have been determined? Was it measured by running a single cart down one side and up the other? Is it independent of total path length? (if you change the initial height h1, does it affect the result?) Does it depend upon the slopes of either side? Normal force (hence friction) depends upon angle, so can "efficiency" be independent of slopes?

Perhaps the OP has been given a particular working definition of efficiency that can be applied here?

For this question I have been told to use Input/Output for efficiency, if that helps at all.

gneill said:
Okay, suppose it is so. Can you suggest how the efficiency might have been determined? Was it measured by running a single cart down one side and up the other? Is it independent of total path length? (if you change the initial height h1, does it affect the result?) Does it depend upon the slopes of either side? Normal force (hence friction) depends upon angle, so can "efficiency" be independent of slopes?

Perhaps the OP has been given a particular working definition of efficiency that can be applied here?

In real life, the amount of energy lost during a situation like this is very hard to quantise - though perhaps easier to measure.

In MANY cases, the situation is idealised by assuming there is no friction.

In this case it looks like a more representative, but equally random, assumption has been made and so when moving up and/or down this slope, instead of 100% of the PE converting to KE on the way down the hill, only 82% of the PE ends up as KE.
I would assume that after the collision, only 82% of the KE after collision becomes the PE when they stop.

1. What is the formula for calculating impulse?

The formula for calculating impulse is Impulse = Force x Time. This means that the change in momentum of an object is equal to the force applied to it multiplied by the time during which the force acted.

2. How is momentum defined?

Momentum is defined as mass x velocity. It is a measure of an object's motion and is directly proportional to its mass and velocity. A larger mass or higher velocity will result in a greater momentum.

3. What is the relationship between impulse and momentum?

Impulse and momentum are directly related. The change in an object's momentum is equal to the impulse applied to it. This means that a greater impulse will result in a greater change in momentum.

4. How can momentum be used to find the height of an object?

The formula for calculating momentum is p = m x v. If we know the momentum of an object at a certain height, we can rearrange the formula to solve for the height. This would look like: h = p / (m x v). This formula can be used to find the height of an object thrown into the air or the height of a falling object.

5. What is efficiency and how is it related to impulse and momentum?

Efficiency is a measure of how well a system or process converts input energy into useful output energy. In the context of impulse and momentum, efficiency can be calculated by dividing the output energy (change in momentum) by the input energy (impulse). A system would be considered more efficient if it can produce a greater change in momentum with the same amount of impulse.