Impulse Momentum Theorem for Calculating Fall Height

In summary, a student of mass 63 kg falls freely from rest and strikes the ground, coming to rest in 0.0180 seconds. The average force exerted on the student by the ground is +16000 N, and using the impulse momentum theorem, the final velocity is found to be 4.57 m/s. To find the height the student fell from, the acceleration due to gravity is used and the height is calculated to be 1.066 meters.
ladolce
Impulse Momentum Theorem!

Homework Statement

A student (m = 63 kg) falls freely from rest and strikes the ground. During the collision with the ground, he comes to rest in a time of 0.0180 s. The average force exerted on him by the ground is +16000. N, where the upward direction is taken to be the positive direction. From what height did the student fall? Assume that the only force acting on him during the collision is that due to the ground.

Homework Equations

impulse momentum theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

i did it and got vfinal=4.57 and put that over the time, 0.018sec and got 254 m

but that's not right... i don't know why...anyone able to help?

Physics news on Phys.org
ladolce said:
i did it and got vfinal=4.57
Did you include the force of gravity?
and put that over the time, 0.018sec and got 254 m
No idea what you did here. If something fell from that height, how fast would it be going?

I'm a little lost on how to approach this problem :(

Once you've found the speed, finding the height is just a falling body problem.

Ok, so can I just use F=ma and say 16000 N=63kg x (a) and get acceleration and then use kinematics to say

displacement=1/2 (a) (0.018)sqrd?

No. You are finding the height the student fell from to reach the speed that you figured out. (You do not need the displacement during his interaction with the ground.) The acceleration is the acceleration due to gravity.

How did you find the speed?

I made 16000=63v/.018 and got 4.57 :/

ladolce said:
I made 16000=63v/.018 and got 4.57 :/
That's the impulse momentum theorem--good. But realize that you need the net force, not just the force from the ground. What other force acts on the student? (This correction will give you a slightly different speed.)

Ah, weight=mg=617.4

so i get v=4.395

what could i do next?

Oh, in the problem it says : "Assume that the only force acting on him during the collision is that due to the ground."

so that's all i have to worry about. i have the right velocity as 4.57 m/s then...i don't know what to do next however.

Now figure out the height he must have fallen from. This part has nothing to do with the collision with the ground or with the impulse-momentum theorem.

I keep getting really small answers. Like, wouldn't I just do 4.57m/s=x/.018sec?

ladolce said:
I keep getting really small answers. Like, wouldn't I just do 4.57m/s=x/.018sec?
This is not correct. The 0.018 sec is the duration of the impact with the ground, not the time it takes him to fall. (Also: Falling is accelerated motion, not constant speed.)

Review your basic kinematic relationships. (Hint: You can also use energy methods, if you like.)

Ok, I did it again and got

y=(0)-(4.57 squared)/(2)(-9.8)

and i got -1.066m

would that be what you got?

Wow, that's right. Thank you so much for your time once again!

Sounds good to me. (Lose that minus sign.)

Related to Impulse Momentum Theorem for Calculating Fall Height

1. What is the Impulse Momentum Theorem?

The Impulse Momentum Theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that relates the change in momentum of an object to the impulse acting on it. It states that the change in momentum of an object is equal to the impulse acting on it, or in other words, the force applied over a period of time.

2. How is the Impulse Momentum Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Impulse Momentum Theorem is commonly used in sports and engineering. In sports, it can be used to analyze the motion of athletes during activities such as jumping or throwing. In engineering, it is used to design safety features in cars and other vehicles, such as airbags, to reduce the impact force on passengers during collisions.

3. Can the Impulse Momentum Theorem be applied to both moving and stationary objects?

Yes, the Impulse Momentum Theorem can be applied to both moving and stationary objects. However, in the case of stationary objects, the change in momentum is equal to zero, so the impulse acting on the object is also zero.

4. How is the Impulse Momentum Theorem related to Newton's Laws of Motion?

The Impulse Momentum Theorem is closely related to Newton's Laws of Motion, specifically the second law which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. The Impulse Momentum Theorem can be derived from this law by integrating the equation over time.

5. Are there any limitations to the Impulse Momentum Theorem?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Impulse Momentum Theorem. It assumes that the mass of the object remains constant and that the force acting on the object is constant over time. It also does not take into account external factors such as friction or air resistance, which can affect the motion of an object.