1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse Momentum Theorem + Egg Drop?

Tags:
  1. Jan 22, 2012 #1
    Impulse Momentum Theorem + Egg Drop??

I have to explain how the impulse momentum theorem relates to my egg drop. My egg was padded with a styrofoam cup and tissues and a plastic bag parachute. Honestly, I don't understand the impulse momentum theorem and I am in need of help!

I have fall times, the drop distance, final velocity, avg acceleration, mass, impulse, and max KE if that helps.

All I know is that impulse is directly related to the change in momentum.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2012 #2
    Re: Impulse Momentum Theorem + Egg Drop??

This is a guess:
    Your egg drop project is the mass, and it is falling with a changing velocity. For something to have momentum it has to have mass and velocity. Next, the momentum of your project is falling and when it collides with the ground it is stopped by a force over an amount of time. Force over an amount of time is an impulse.

Hopefully that helps...?

4. Jan 22, 2012 #3

I understand that stuff, but I don't get this: my teacher said if you increase time, force slows down. If you increase force time usually slows down...how does that apply here?? I feel like I'm just sounding like an idiot haha

5. Feb 1, 2012 #4

Oh, say you have a give momentum. To change it you can increase the time and make the force smaller. Or make the force larger and make the time smaller.

Example: 100 Newtons X 1 Second = 100 Newtons per second
    5 Newtons X 20 Seconds = 100 Newtons per second

See same Impulse, but different amounts

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook