Impulse of a firefighter's net on boy

• Thread starter rechitzy
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A boy of mass 60.0 kg is rescued from a hotel fire by leaping into a firefighter's net. The window from which he leapt was 8.0 m above the net. The firefighters lower their arms as he lands in the net so that he is brought to a complete stop in a time of 0.40 s.

1.What is his change in momentum during the 0.40 s interval?
Answer: 751.2 kg·m/s

2.What is the impulse on the net due to the boy during the interval? [Hint: Don't ignore gravity.]
Answer: N·s

3.What is the average force on the net due to the boy during the interval?
Answer: kN i got 1878 N and converting to kN is 1.88 kN but for some reason it indicates it is wrong

Homework Equations

1.V=u+2gh
Δp=mxΔv

2.i don't know

3.F=Δp/t

The Attempt at a Solution

on 2. I don't know what to do since it mentions not to ignore gravity does that means i just have to multiply answer1xgravity?

What is wrong with number 3? I thought i got it right since i just did 751.2/.40s=1878 N

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

ideasrule
Homework Helper
The net force exerted an impulse of 751.2 kg·m/s, bringing the boy to rest. However, the net force is composed of the force on the net and gravity.

The net force exerted an impulse of 751.2 kg·m/s, bringing the boy to rest. However, the net force is composed of the force on the net and gravity.
Is this mean for problem 2, we:

751.2 * 9.8 = 7361.76 correct?

ideasrule
Homework Helper
No. What does impulse times acceleration equal? (Hint: not anything meaningful for this question)