1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse of a firefighter's net on boy

1. Mar 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A boy of mass 60.0 kg is rescued from a hotel fire by leaping into a firefighter's net. The window from which he leapt was 8.0 m above the net. The firefighters lower their arms as he lands in the net so that he is brought to a complete stop in a time of 0.40 s.

1.What is his change in momentum during the 0.40 s interval?
    Answer: 751.2 kg·m/s

2.What is the impulse on the net due to the boy during the interval? [Hint: Don't ignore gravity.]
    Answer: N·s

3.What is the average force on the net due to the boy during the interval?
    Answer: kN i got 1878 N and converting to kN is 1.88 kN but for some reason it indicates it is wrong

2. Relevant equations
    1.V=u+2gh
    Δp=mxΔv

2.i don't know

3.F=Δp/t

3. The attempt at a solution

on 2. I don't know what to do since it mentions not to ignore gravity does that means i just have to multiply answer1xgravity?

What is wrong with number 3? I thought i got it right since i just did 751.2/.40s=1878 N

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

The net force exerted an impulse of 751.2 kg·m/s, bringing the boy to rest. However, the net force is composed of the force on the net and gravity.

4. Mar 22, 2010 #3
    Is this mean for problem 2, we:

751.2 * 9.8 = 7361.76 correct?

5. Mar 22, 2010 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

No. What does impulse times acceleration equal? (Hint: not anything meaningful for this question)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook