Force required to change direction

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of average force applied to an object during a 5 second time interval where the speed changes from 30 m/s to 40 m/s and the direction changes by 90 degrees. The solution involves finding the change in momentum in the x and y directions separately and using that to determine the average force. The answer is apparently 50N, but there may be a discrepancy in the given time interval of 5 seconds.
rasen58

Homework Statement

The speed of a 2 kg object changes from 30 m/s to 40 m/s during a 5 s time interval. During this same time interval, the velocity of the object changes in direction by 90 degrees. What average force was applied during the time interval?

Homework Equations

impulse = F.t

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find the force if the object hadn't turned.
2 kg (40 - 30) = 20 = F . t
F = 4 N
But I don't know how to find the force required to move it.

The answer is apparently 50N.

Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity is vector quantity. Draw the initial and final velocities and their difference: They make a right triangle. You need the magnitude of v2-v1.

Attachments

• velocitydiff.JPG
    velocitydiff.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 743
So v2-v1 is 50 m/s. But then what do I do. Finding the impulse by using (2 kg)(50m/s - 30m/s) doesn't give me the right answer.

Take a look at the change in momentum that has to occur in the x and y directions separately. Suppose the object is initially traveling in the +x direction. What's its momentum? After the maneuver, what's the new momentum in the x direction? So the change is? Then do the same for the y-direction.

You'll then have two components of the total change in momentum: ##ΔP_x## and ##ΔP_y##. ##ΔP## is a vector quantity. Can you determine the average force required from there?

rasen58 said:
So v2-v1 is 50 m/s. But then what do I do. Finding the impulse by using (2 kg)(50m/s - 30m/s) doesn't give me the right answer.
50 m/s is the magnitude of the difference between the initial and final velocities. Why do you subtract the initial speed again?
Multiplied by the mass, you get the change of momentum. Divided by time, it yields the average force.

ehild said:
50 m/s is the magnitude of the difference between the initial and final velocities. Why do you subtract the initial speed again?
Multiplied by the mass, you get the change of momentum. Divided by time, it yields the average force.
Right, but it's not going to give 50N. rasen58, are you sure it's 5 sec, not 2 sec?

What is the definition of "force" in relation to changing direction?

Force is defined as a push or pull on an object that can cause it to change its motion or direction.

How is the force required to change direction calculated?

The force required to change direction is calculated using Newton's second law, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F = ma). This means that the greater the mass of an object or the faster it is moving, the more force is needed to change its direction.

What factors affect the force required to change direction?

The main factors that affect the force required to change direction are the mass of the object and the velocity at which it is moving. Other factors may include the shape and size of the object, as well as any external forces acting on it.

How does the force required to change direction relate to the direction of the force?

The force required to change direction is always perpendicular to the direction of the force applied. This means that if the force is applied in a different direction, the force required to change direction will also change.

What are some real-life examples of the force required to change direction?

Some examples of the force required to change direction in everyday life include turning a steering wheel to change the direction of a car, kicking a soccer ball to change its path, or swinging a bat to change the direction of a baseball. In all of these examples, a force is applied to change the direction of an object's motion.