Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Impulse on a sliding block attched to spring

1. Jan 23, 2009 #1
    A 4kg wooden block resting on an icy surface (so friction can be ignored) is attached to a horizontal spring (L=1m, k=100N/kg), which is attached on the other end to a vertical wall. A 2g bullet is fired at a speed of 100m/s into the wooden block, pushing it directly toward the wall. What is the period and amplitude of the resulting oscillations?

f=(1/2pi)sqrt(k/m)

I have no clue?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2009 #2
    Re: Oscillation

A good starting point would be to calculate how much energy the bullet transfers to the spring-block system.

Also (I'm sure it was a typo, but) the spring constant, [itex]k[/itex], can never take the value N/kg. [itex]k[/itex] is a measure of restoring force per unit length of displacement, so the S.I. unit is N/m.

4. Jan 23, 2009 #3

okay... I got T=1.2s and A=45cm ... is this correct?

5. Jan 23, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Not sure how you arrived at your amplitude. Your period looks about right, though I would check to see that you rounded correctly.

6. Jan 23, 2009 #5

Looks good to me. (Just to be pedantic, [itex]\tau[/itex] is closer to 1.3 s than 1.2 s, but you obviously got the correct answer!)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook