Impulse when 2 bodies stick together?

In summary, the question is whether an impulse can be calculated if two bodies collide and remain in total contact post-collision. The answer is yes, as long as the change in momentum can be determined. The force and impulse on each body can be calculated separately, even though their masses have combined post-impact. The internal energy of the combined object may change, but the total momentum will still be conserved.
agentmm
Hello,

I was just wondering if an Impulse was exerted by one body on another if they collided but remained in total contact post-collision. The reason I ask is because my little I=F(delta)t indicates that there should be a change in time to calculate an impulse but in this case the 2 bodies are stuck together forever (so time change is 0 or infinite or something?)

The example I had in my head was GSP vs Matt Hughes: They rush each other and upon collision, morph into one body...can you calc. the Impulse of GSP on Hughes?

Thanks for your consideration.

Physics news on Phys.org
agentmm said:
Hello,

I was just wondering if an Impulse was exerted by one body on another if they collided but remained in total contact post-collision. The reason I ask is because my little I=F(delta)t indicates that there should be a change in time to calculate an impulse but in this case the 2 bodies are stuck together forever (so time change is 0 or infinite or something?)

The example I had in my head was GSP vs Matt Hughes: They rush each other and upon collision, morph into one body...can you calc. the Impulse of GSP on Hughes?

Thanks for your consideration.

There is still a delta t.
The delta t is the time during which the mutual forces act on the two bodies and cause their individual momenta to change. It doesn't matter if they stick or rebound; there was still a force; and it still acted over a (short) period of time.

The only difference here is that all the kinetic energy is internal after collision. The new object would heat up.

Thanks a lot for the responses...
Since I can't really use this "small" delta t, would it be acceptable to do a "mass * delta v" for each body (assuming we know the velocities of the bodies pre and post collision...)
Even though their masses have combined post impact, I guess you can still use them seperately with the same final vel. but obviously different initial vel.

You can always find the impulse because it equals the change in momentum.
So if you have the momentum (from mass and velocity) of one body before the collision, and the momentum after; then the impulse was the change in the momentum.
Because the force on the other body was equal and opposite in direction (Newton 3) its change in momentum and impulse will be numerically the same as the first body.
As you don't know the Δt, you can't really calculate the magnitude of the force.
There may be ways of estimating Δt which would enable you to estimate the force.

LostConjugate said:
The only difference here is that all the kinetic energy is internal after collision. The new object would heat up.
You're right that much of the original KE will end up as internal energy, but not necessarily all. (That would be the case if the total momentum were zero.)

agentmm said:
Since I can't really use this "small" delta t, would it be acceptable to do a "mass * delta v" for each body (assuming we know the velocities of the bodies pre and post collision...)
Even though their masses have combined post impact, I guess you can still use them seperately with the same final vel. but obviously different initial vel.
Absolutely. You should have no problem calculating the impulse on each body, since you have the change in momentum.

Doc Al said:
You're right that much of the original KE will end up as internal energy, but not necessarily all. (That would be the case if the total momentum were zero.)

Perhaps all the KE of the object with the lowest momentum, any KE difference would be maintained in the new velocity of the combined object.

1. What is impulse when 2 bodies stick together?

Impulse when 2 bodies stick together is the change in momentum that occurs when two objects collide and remain attached to each other. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is impulse calculated?

Impulse is calculated by multiplying the average force applied to an object by the time over which it acts. It can also be calculated by finding the change in momentum of the objects involved in the collision.

3. What factors affect impulse when 2 bodies stick together?

The factors that affect impulse when 2 bodies stick together include the mass and velocity of the objects, as well as the duration of the collision. The angle of impact and the elasticity of the objects also play a role in determining the amount of impulse.

4. How does impulse affect the motion of the objects?

The impulse experienced by the objects during a collision will result in a change in their momentum. This change in momentum will cause a change in the objects' velocity and can result in a change in their direction of motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of impulse when 2 bodies stick together?

Some real-life examples of impulse when 2 bodies stick together include car accidents, where the impact of two vehicles causes them to stick together and come to a stop; a hammer hitting a nail, where the hammer and nail become attached after the collision; and a baseball hitting a bat, where the ball and bat stick together briefly before the ball is sent flying in a different direction.