1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulsive force during collision between solid and liquid

1. Jun 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to model an impact between a solid and a liquid as a 1D elastic collision where KE and momentum are conserved. Calculating the impulse is no problem. My problem in when I try to come up with an accurate collision time in order to calculate impulsive forces. Does anyone know of a reasonably accurate approach to find these forces.

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of KE, Conservation of Momentum, Herztian correlations for impacting solids, elastic coefficients of impacted materials.

3. The attempt at a solution

Use Hertzian correlations between two elastic solids to get an idea of the impact time (around .003s) for my initial conditions.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2009 #2

turin

Homework Helper

Why do you think that it is reasonable to model a solid-liquid collision as elastic? Usually, such a collision is quite inelastic, since the configuration of the liquid doesn't even restore untill many collision timescales later (e.g. the ripples in the surface of a pool will continue for several seconds or minutes, even though the tennis ball only makes contact with the surface of the water for less than a second).

The only idea that I have to theoretically determine the collision force is to consider bouyancy. However, I would expect that surface effects are also significant (e.g. surface tension), but I don't know how to deal with that.

4. Jul 2, 2009 #3
    I modelled the collision as elastic to be conservative because it would cause the maximum transfer of energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook