In a series circuit with 3 bulbs, does the voltage decrease?

In summary: PERE'S LAW: In a series circuit, the current is the same at all points in the circuit. This means that the current flowing through each bulb will be the same. The voltage drop across each bulb, however, depends on the resistance of the bulb. In summary, in a series circuit with 3 bulbs, the current is the same at all points, but the voltage drop and brightness of each bulb may vary depending on the resistance of the bulb. If the bulbs are identical, they will have the same brightness.
DeltaOne
In a series circuit with 3 bulbs, does the voltage across each bulb decrease? I know the current is the same at all points in the circuit. My book says that the brightness of the bulbs are all equal. Is this true?

My idea is that the brightness will not be the same because of the resistance of each bulb. I'm not sure if I am correct.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
DeltaOne said:
In a series circuit with 3 bulbs, does the voltage across each bulb decrease? I know the current is the same at all points in the circuit. My book says that the brightness of the bulbs are all equal. Is this true?

My idea is that the brightness will not be the same because of the resistance of each bulb. I'm not sure if I am correct.
If the bulbs are identical, they will all have the same brightness.

The brightness is determined by the power consumed by the bulb. The power consumed by each bulb is EI where E is the voltage measured across the terminals of each bulb and I is the current (I being the same for each bulb). Since E = IR and they all have the same resistance, EI is the same for each bulb.

AM

1. Does the voltage decrease in a series circuit with 3 bulbs?

Yes, the voltage will decrease in a series circuit with 3 bulbs. As the current flows through each bulb, some of the electrical energy is converted into light and heat, causing a decrease in voltage.

2. Why does the voltage decrease in a series circuit with 3 bulbs?

The voltage decreases in a series circuit with 3 bulbs due to the law of conservation of energy. As the current flows through each bulb, some of the electrical energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as light and heat, resulting in a decrease in voltage.

3. How does the voltage affect the brightness of the bulbs in a series circuit with 3 bulbs?

The voltage directly affects the brightness of the bulbs in a series circuit with 3 bulbs. As the voltage decreases, the amount of electrical energy available for the bulbs decreases, resulting in a dimmer light.

4. Can the voltage be increased in a series circuit with 3 bulbs?

In a series circuit with 3 bulbs, the voltage cannot be increased. The voltage is determined by the power source and the resistance in the circuit, and adding more bulbs increases the resistance, causing a decrease in voltage.

5. How does the voltage differ in a parallel circuit compared to a series circuit with 3 bulbs?

In a parallel circuit, the voltage remains constant across each branch, including the bulbs. However, in a series circuit with 3 bulbs, the voltage decreases as the current flows through each bulb. This is due to the different ways in which resistors are connected in each type of circuit.