In an integral domain deg(pq) = deg(p) + deg(q)

In summary: It is. You can write ##p_1(x)\cdot p_2(x) = (a_nx^n + \ldots )\cdot (b_mx^m + \ldots ) = a_nb_mx^{n+m} + \ldots ## or even $$p_1(x)\cdot p_2(x) = \left( \sum_{i=0}^{n}a_i x^i \right) \cdot \left( \sum_{j=0}^{m}b_j x^j \right) = \sum_{k=0}^{n+m} \sum_{i
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Let ##R## be an integral domain and ##p_1(x),p_2(x) \in R[x]## with neither equal to ##0##. Show that the degree of ##p_1(x)p_2(x)## is the sum of the degrees of ##p_1(x)## and ##p_2(x)##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt.
Let ##p_1(x) = a_n x^n + a_{n-1}x^{n-1} + \dots + a_1x + a_0## and ##p_2(x) = b_m x^m + b_{m-1}x^{m-1} + \dots + b_1x + b_0##. Evidently ##\operatorname{deg} (p_1) = n## and ##\operatorname{deg} (p_2) = m##

Upon multiplication of ##p_1## and ##p_2##, the highest order term will be ##a_n b_m x^{n+m}##. Since ##a_n, b_m \in R##, an integral domain, and ##a_n \ne 0## and ##b_m \ne 0##, it must be the case that ##a_n b_m \ne 0##. Hence ##\operatorname{deg} (p_1 p_2) = \operatorname{deg} (p_1) + \operatorname{deg} (p_2) = m + n##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Let ##R## be an integral domain and ##p_1(x),p_2(x) \in R[x]## with neither equal to ##0##. Show that the degree of ##p_1(x)p_2(x)## is the sum of the degrees of ##p_1(x)## and ##p_2(x)##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt.
Let ##p_1(x) = a_n x^n + a_{n-1}x^{n-1} + \dots + a_1x + a_0## and ##p_2(x) = b_m x^m + b_{m-1}x^{m-1} + \dots + b_1x + b_0##. Evidently ##\operatorname{deg} (p_1) = n## and ##\operatorname{deg} (p_2) = m##

Upon multiplication of ##p_1## and ##p_2##, the highest order term will be ##a_n b_m x^{n+m}##. Since ##a_n, b_m \in R##, an integral domain, and ##a_n \ne 0## and ##b_m \ne 0##, it must be the case that ##a_n b_m \ne 0##. Hence ##\operatorname{deg} (p_1 p_2) = \operatorname{deg} (p_1) + \operatorname{deg} (p_2) = m + n##.
I would have worded it differently (##a_n \neq 0 \neq b_m## at the beginning as part of the definition of degree), but it is correct.

Likes Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
I would have worded it differently (##a_n \neq 0 \neq b_m## at the beginning as part of the definition of degree), but it is correct.
Also, one thing. To what extent is it rigorous enough to just say that "Upon multiplication of ##p_1## and ##p_2##, the highest order term will be ##a_n b_m x^{n+m}##"?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Also, one thing. To what extent is it rigorous enough to just say that "Upon multiplication of ##p_1## and ##p_2##, the highest order term will be ##a_n b_m x^{n+m}##"?
It is. You can write ##p_1(x)\cdot p_2(x) = (a_nx^n + \ldots )\cdot (b_mx^m + \ldots ) = a_nb_mx^{n+m} + \ldots ## or even
$$
p_1(x)\cdot p_2(x) = \left( \sum_{i=0}^{n}a_i x^i \right) \cdot \left( \sum_{j=0}^{m}b_j x^j \right) = \sum_{k=0}^{n+m} \sum_{i+j=k}a_ib_j x^{i+j}
$$
instead, but this isn't really necessary in this case.

Likes Mr Davis 97
An integral domain contains no zero divisors, therefore leading term will not vanish as you correctly deduced.

1. What is an integral domain?

An integral domain is a type of mathematical structure where multiplication is well-defined, meaning that for any two elements a and b in the domain, the product ab is also in the domain. It also satisfies the commutative, associative, and distributive properties.

2. What does "deg" mean in the equation deg(pq) = deg(p) + deg(q)?

"Deg" stands for degree, which is a measure of the highest power of a variable in a polynomial. For example, in the polynomial 4x^3 + 2x^2 + 3x + 1, the degree is 3 because the highest power of x is 3.

3. Why is deg(pq) equal to deg(p) + deg(q) in an integral domain?

This property holds in an integral domain because it follows from the distributive property of multiplication over addition. Since the degree of a polynomial is determined by the highest power of the variable, when two polynomials are multiplied together, their degrees are added.

4. How does this property relate to the factorization of polynomials?

In an integral domain, this property can be used to determine the degree of a polynomial product, which in turn can help with factorization. By knowing the degree of the product, you can determine the possible combinations of factors that would result in that degree.

5. Can this property be extended to polynomials with more than two terms?

Yes, this property can be extended to polynomials with any number of terms. For example, if you have a polynomial with three terms, the degree of the product of this polynomial and another polynomial with four terms would be the sum of the degrees of both polynomials.