1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In an integral domain deg(pq) = deg(p) + deg(q)

1. Apr 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##R## be an integral domain and ##p_1(x),p_2(x) \in R[x]## with neither equal to ##0##. Show that the degree of ##p_1(x)p_2(x)## is the sum of the degrees of ##p_1(x)## and ##p_2(x)##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here is my attempt.
    Let ##p_1(x) = a_n x^n + a_{n-1}x^{n-1} + \dots + a_1x + a_0## and ##p_2(x) = b_m x^m + b_{m-1}x^{m-1} + \dots + b_1x + b_0##. Evidently ##\operatorname{deg} (p_1) = n## and ##\operatorname{deg} (p_2) = m##

Upon multiplication of ##p_1## and ##p_2##, the highest order term will be ##a_n b_m x^{n+m}##. Since ##a_n, b_m \in R##, an integral domain, and ##a_n \ne 0## and ##b_m \ne 0##, it must be the case that ##a_n b_m \ne 0##. Hence ##\operatorname{deg} (p_1 p_2) = \operatorname{deg} (p_1) + \operatorname{deg} (p_2) = m + n##.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I would have worded it differently (##a_n \neq 0 \neq b_m## at the beginning as part of the definition of degree), but it is correct.

4. Apr 5, 2017 #3
    Also, one thing. To what extent is it rigorous enough to just say that "Upon multiplication of ##p_1## and ##p_2##, the highest order term will be ##a_n b_m x^{n+m}##"?

5. Apr 6, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

It is. You can write ##p_1(x)\cdot p_2(x) = (a_nx^n + \ldots )\cdot (b_mx^m + \ldots ) = a_nb_mx^{n+m} + \ldots ## or even
    $$
    p_1(x)\cdot p_2(x) = \left( \sum_{i=0}^{n}a_i x^i \right) \cdot \left( \sum_{j=0}^{m}b_j x^j \right) = \sum_{k=0}^{n+m} \sum_{i+j=k}a_ib_j x^{i+j}
    $$
    instead, but this isn't really necessary in this case.

6. Apr 6, 2017 #5
    An integral domain contains no zero divisors, therefore leading term will not vanish as you correctly deduced.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted