What is the point of convergence for a recursive sequence in a plane?

  • Thread starter Thread starter toothpaste666
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sequence
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
toothpaste666
Messages
517
Reaction score
20

Homework Statement



Let [itex]\{P_i\}_{i=0}^\infty[/itex] be a sequence of points on a plane. Suppose [itex]P_i[/itex]s are placed as on the picture below, so that [itex]|P_0 P_1|=2, |P_1 P_2|=1, |P_2 P_3|=.5, |P_3P_4|=.25[/itex], ... Find the coordinate of the point [itex]P = \lim_{i→\infty} P_i[/itex]

attachment.php?attachmentid=68646&d=1397459162.png


Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



here are the points [itex]P_0: (0,0) P_1: (2,0) P_2: (2, 1) P_3: (1.5, 1) P_4: (1.5, .75) P_5: (1.625, .75)[/itex]

lets examine the x values first:
2, 1.5, 1.625

this is a sequence defined recursively by:

[itex]a_1 = 2[/itex]

[itex]a_{n+1} = 2 - \frac{a_n}{4}[/itex]

[itex]L = \lim_{a_n\rightarrow\infty} a_n = \lim_{a_n\rightarrow\infty} a_{n+1} <br /> = \lim_{an\rightarrow\infty} 2-\frac{a_n}{4}[/itex]

which means that

[itex]L = 2-\frac{L}{4}[/itex]

[itex]4L = 8 - L[/itex]

[itex]5L = 8[/itex]

[itex]L = \frac{8}{5}[/itex]

[itex]L = 1.6[/itex]

so 1.6 would be the x coordinate of the point.

I then would follow a similar process to find the y coordinate, but before I do that I just want to make sure what I have so far is correct.
 

Attachments

  • seriesproblem.png
    seriesproblem.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 550
Physics news on Phys.org
also forgive me for not proving the sequence is bounded and decreasing (I left it out to save time and narrow the focus) but i have done so by mathematical induction
 
Yes it is correct but also prove it is bounded and decreasing.
 
Ok so it turns out one of my induction proofs was wrong. I can prove it is bounded but this sequence is not strictly increasing or decreasing. it hops back and forth between increasing and decreasing but it IS approaching a certain point. Is there any way to prove that it has a limit?
 
the proof that it is bounded:

[itex]1 ≤ a_n ≤ 2[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{4} ≤ \frac{a_n}{4} ≤ \frac{2}{4}[/itex]

[itex]-\frac{1}{4} ≥ -\frac{a_n}{4} ≥ -\frac{2}{4}[/itex]

[itex]2-\frac{1}{4} ≥ 2-\frac{a_n}{4} ≥ 2-\frac{2}{4}[/itex]

[itex]1.75 ≥ a_{n+1} ≥ 1.5[/itex]

[itex]1 ≤ 1.5 ≤ a_{n+1} ≤ 1.75 ≤ 2[/itex]

[itex]1 ≤ a_{n+1} ≤ 2[/itex]