• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

In how many seconds will the n-th wagon pass next to me?

HAF

Homework Statement

Train starts to travel in a straight line at increasing speeds. The first wagon passes next to me in 4 seconds. In how many seconds will the n-th wagon pass next to me?

Homework Equations

s= vo.t + 1/2at^2
v= vo + at

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all we didn't learn sequences at school yet. That's why I try to solve it with these equations. Maybe the right question is "Is it solvable without knowing sequences?"

I tried to use the equation for velocity and compare then t1 with t2 with t3 and so on but there just so many unknowns and I can't figure anything out. Thank You I appreciate it.

Answers and Replies

This is similar to a free-fall scenario. In the first 4 seconds the distance is one train length, let's call that X. When do we get twice the distance (2X), which means the second wagon passed? You can express this with two equations and two unknowns or rearrange your first formula to use just a single equation.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
at increasing speeds.
Is that all it says? Nothing about constant acceleration, or maybe constant power?

HAF
Is that all it says? Nothing about constant acceleration, or maybe constant power?
I'm very sorry. I forgot to say that those wagons have same length.

HAF
And acceleration is constant you are right.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
And acceleration is constant you are right.
Please post the complete question.

Homework Statement

Train starts to travel in a straight line at increasing speeds. The first wagon passes next to me in 4 seconds. In how many seconds will the n-th wagon pass next to me?
Not difficult if you assume that "straight line" is not important, "increasing speeds" means "constant acceleration", and "The first wagon passes next to me in 4 seconds" means "At the start, I was standing at the front of the first wagon, which then passed me after 4 seconds", because you won't be able to solve it cleanly, otherwise.

Last edited:
HAF
Please post the complete question.
Train starts to travel in a straight line at increasing speeds. The first wagon passes next to me in 4 seconds. Acceleration is constant and wagons have the same length. In how many seconds will the n-th wagon pass next to me?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Train starts to travel in a straight line at increasing speeds. The first wagon passes next to me in 4 seconds. Acceleration is constant and wagons have the same length. In how many seconds will the n-th wagon pass next to me?
It doesn't say how far away from you the train was when it started.

HAF
It doesn't say how far away from you the train was when it started.
That's true. I was confused too but I take for granted what hmmm27 said.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
"increasing speeds" means "constant acceleration",
No, it just means the acceleration has the same sign as the velocity.

HAF
But I know that acceleration is constant.

True : edited "take for granted" to "assume" in the post. Of course, the actual assumption is that a nice clean answer is expected, rather than one laden with offsets. Both assumptions are odd enough to be worth mentioning in the submission, though (which could be taken as doing the student's homework for them, for which I apologize).

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
True : edited "take for granted" to "assume" in the post. Of course, the actual assumption is that a nice clean answer is expected, rather than one laden with offsets. Both assumptions are odd enough to be worth mentioning in the submission, though.
To me "the wagon passes next to me" means the centre of the wagon, which is a also a solvable problem.

To me "the wagon passes next to me" means the centre of the wagon, which is a also a solvable problem.
Well, if you insist... it could be a Wild West wagon train, in which case we'd want to know the distance between the arse end of a wagon and the horse pulling the next one, as well... and of course the length of the average horse.

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
To me that means that it takes 4 seconds for the whole wagon to pass (from front to back). I guess the OP will need to make assumptions about the actual meaning.

HAF
To me that means that it takes 4 seconds for the whole wagon to pass (from front to back). I guess the OP will need to make assumptions about the actual meaning.
So guys I talked to my teacher and he clarified few important things.

1. At the beginning I'm staying in front of the first wagon.
2. Wagons have the same length
3. Acceleration is constant.

Then you're all set :smile:

HAF
Then you're all set [emoji2]
Yeah now I fully understand the problem. I found out the equation for every time by comparing time of first wagon, second wagon and third wagon.

Is there an easier way to find out the equation for time of the n-th wagon?

I found out the equation for every time by comparing time of first wagon, second wagon and third wagon.

I'm entirely unsure how you'd find the time for the first, second, third wagon, without actually having a formula with an "n" in it. But, I'm lazy.

HAF
I'm entirely unsure how you'd find the time for the first, second, third wagon, without actually having a formula with an "n" in it. But, I'm lazy.
I thought about it this way.
s1=s2 and then again s1=s3.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
It's also ambiguous in terms of whether you want the instantaneous time that (the end of) the nth wagon passes a given point; or, the length of time that the whole of the nth wagon takes to pass.

I thought about it this way.
s1=s2 and then again s1=s3.
Oh, well that's clear:rolleyes:
Care to share ? in longhand... formulas and stuff.

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Yeah now I fully understand the problem. I found out the equation for every time by comparing time of first wagon, second wagon and third wagon.

I suppose that you need some unit of length. Right?

Each wagon is the same length, so 'wagon' could be the length unit, and wagon/sec velocity, and wagon/sec2 the acceleration unit.

Then use kinematic equations

Reactions: HAF
HAF
I suppose that you need some unit of length. Right?

Each wagon is the same length, so 'wagon' could be the length unit, and wagon/sec velocity, and wagon/sec2 the acceleration unit.

Then use kinematic equations
May I ask something please?

How can I insert time(n) into those kinematic equations?

I would like to solve this problem as fast as it could be but comparing time(1) and time(2) and etc. Isn't fast enough.

I hope you won't get angry because of my question.

Thank You