In need of professional advice on starting a new course

In summary, the conversation revolves around a new member introducing himself to the Physics Forum and expressing his interest in electrical engineering. He shares his background in chemistry and asks for information and insights on the engineering course and profession. The other participant in the conversation questions the relevance and effectiveness of such a broad and subjective question.
Luke Attigan
Dear readers,

Firstly I would like to say that I'm a new member to the Physics Forum and I hope to meet many people who share my passion for science (because let's face it, science is awesome!).

I am a 25 year old male chemistry graduate from Scotland, and recently completed a Bsc in Chemistry. I have done a lot of work in this area such as: adhering strictly to the departmental policies and Standard Operating Procedures designed to mitigate the risk of sample mix-up, to follow Health and Safety and COSHH regulations – as outlined in the laboratories protocols and policies, the ability to prioritise and adapt to large workloads, carrying out detailed investigatory analyses of chemical solutions, the preparation and maintenance of reagents, consumables and stock, performing equipment maintenance and participating within laboratory environments – which includes the correct disposal of waste, engaging within internal and external quality control procedures and to perform other duties as deemed appropriate by the head of laboratory.

Now, seeing as I have picked up a variety of technical and transferable skills from my recent involvement with internships and university, I am wanting a change in career practice. One discipline which has caught my eye is electrical engineering; specifically telecommunications and satellite communications.

It would be invaluable for me if anyone could tell me a little about what the engineering course entails in your view (I appreciate many posts have been made on such questions and answering this question may seem daunting), what you personally enjoyed the course when studying it, the challenges and rewards associated with this profession, the people you work with, culture fit and basically anything else of importance which you believe to be essential for new starts going into the electrical engineering profession.

Professionals who have done alternative engineering degrees/courses such as mechanical, civil, chemical or otherwise, your information would be a godsend for me as well.

I appreciate this is a fairly long and comprehensive post, but it's better to be detail orientated than not.

Thanks for reading.

Luke.

You know, this sounds very strange to me. It really sounds like "write an essay on your life in STEM." I am not surprised it has not gotten a lot of responses. Challenges and rewards? Are you sure you are not in a sociology course of some kind?

You have basically asked "what tastes good?" Even if somebody did post an answer to your question it wouldn't do you any good because it will not be telling you what you will enjoy, but what other people enjoy. I mean, some people like day-time television.

Maybe you could ask a more specific question.

1. How do I choose the right course for my career goals?

There are a few key factors to consider when choosing a course for your career goals. First, think about your interests and strengths - what subjects do you enjoy and excel in? Next, research the job market and determine which industries are growing and in need of skilled professionals. Finally, consider the practical aspects of the course, such as the cost, location, and time commitment.

2. What qualifications do I need to enroll in a new course?

The qualifications needed to enroll in a new course vary depending on the level and type of course. Some courses may have specific academic or experience requirements, while others may have no prerequisites. It's important to carefully review the course requirements and contact the institution if you have any questions.

3. How can I balance work and study while starting a new course?

Balancing work and study can be challenging, but there are strategies that can help. First, create a schedule and stick to it, setting aside dedicated time for studying each day. Prioritize your tasks and eliminate any unnecessary commitments. It's also important to communicate with your employer and discuss any potential adjustments to your work schedule to accommodate your studies.

4. What resources are available to help me succeed in my new course?

Many educational institutions offer a range of resources to help students succeed in their courses. These may include tutoring services, study groups, and academic advisors. Additionally, online platforms and textbooks can provide supplemental materials and practice exercises. Don't hesitate to reach out to your instructors or classmates for support as well.

5. How can I ensure a smooth transition into my new course?

Transitioning into a new course can be intimidating, but there are steps you can take to make the process smoother. First, familiarize yourself with the course syllabus and expectations. Next, reach out to your instructors and classmates to introduce yourself and ask any questions you may have. Finally, set realistic goals and stay organized to stay on track throughout the course.