In need of some overall adivce.

• Thread starter CrisisEngage
  • Start date
In summary, the person is worried about what to do with their life and is stuck because they don't know what they want to do. They are currently studying biology, physics, and math, but they are unsure if they will be able to handle the workload of a degree in engineering. They are also worried about what their dad will think of them if they don't choose an engineering degree.
CrisisEngage
Hey, I've been browsing around just trying to research about engineering etc, and this forum seems like a really nice friendly place with some good topics and answers knocking back, so I thought I'd ask something, I am not sure if this is right place to ask but I am going to try anyway.

To put you all in my situation, I am 17 and at the stage in my final year of 6th form where I need to select which Universities and what I want to study etc, with my final exams coming up soon. but this is exactly where the problem falls.

Through my life, I've seen a Hercules up in the sky and thought, awesome I'd really love to be way up there flying that thing, or watching Stargate on TV and seeing Daniel Jackson translating Egyption hyroglyphs and wishing I could do that; but never, did I really set something in cement that I wanted to do, or be and I am not sure if that's the reason for my main fault.

We're now being pushed to make our choices, quite a few people have already made their personal statements and already applied to the Uni's they've chosen, and I am sat here still clueless on what I want to do, and as I see it, if I don't have a clue what I want to do how can I even choose the right Uni, let alone the right degree.

The subjects I am currently learning are Maths, Physics and Biology, I am also considering taking an AS level in Further Maths and trying to complete that befre my years over, I am in Britain by the way incase some things don't add up in terms of doing things differently, different names for exams etc. I am pretty happy with my subject choice, I really do hate biology a lot though but I enjoy Physics (with the right teacher) and Maths I like going to, but I have a big draw back, and that's my lazyness.

My dads told me I have an intelligent brain that's trapped inside a bone-idol body, and I guess that's true, I have the ability to do all of this, but I let myself down by not putting the effort into work, be that in or out of college. I am soneone who just drifts away from the real world whenever I loose concentration for a split second; its like I may have a piece of Math homework due in the for next day but I'll end up just sitting and thinking, not doing anything, and I can do that for countless hours, getting no work or studying done, and not even playing a video game ... I just think. Even when I am interested in something I am listening to I may end up day dreaming and I really don't know why it happens.

With my personal problems out of the way, I was trying to say that I am taking the subjects that will lead to tough degrees, and can get the grades I need in them, but don't feel I myself will be able to cope with the work load degrees related to my current subjects will give.

My dad, who did electronics engineering at uni is trying to push me in the engineering direction , by pushing I mean he's doing a load of research and everytime I try to mention doing a different degree he will work out some way of making that one sound terrible and going back to engineering, like he says I shouldn't do archaeology because that's a hobby degree, I don't really understand that. And like I really like Ancient Greek Myths and things like that, but I can't pursure that because I didnt take History at A Level, and I didnt do that because the only choice for that was modern history, and I don't like that at all.

But my problem is, which I am too worried to talk to my dad about, is what if I hate engineering, what if I am not born to be an acedemic sort of person, don't know what he's going to think of me, I know its my choice, but I know I can't make the right one.

I flick through books from Uni's, I search through their websites looking at all the degree's on offer and none are catching my eye, and I am really starting to worry, how can I not like everything, surely there must be something.

So my question to you guys, is what would you do in my shoes?, what's engineering like in terms of enjoyment, work load? Are there major differences between the different aspects of engineering?

I know there's a lot of rubbish in this post, and I've realized I've written quite a lot but I just want to make sure you all know my situation.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I'm pretty much in the same state as you and have to decide university next year however I have a pretty good idea where I'm headed, and that is engineering haha.
Anyways from what you're saying it sounds like your dad is really pushing you towards engineering, I'm not sure what to say there, you should research for yourself what seems most appealing to you and if that's engineering go for it. I think the most important thing though is what you enjoy to do most, doesn't matter if its not engineering as long as you enjoy and like what you do. The way I figured it out was looking at what has a lot of opportunities, a good amount of demand, and has great traveling opportunities (hence cause I love to travel), which led me to Petroleum Engineering. I read up a bunch about it and what goes on, what they do etc, and it really appealed to me so now I'm focused on getting there but at the moment am trying to focus on bringing my physics marks up so that I can get to the university I want for it.
Engineering has many different fields which can vary widely, if you're going to become one there's a lot of hard work and dedication to it involved. I would suggest maybe reading the sticky topic at the top of this forum (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=15898) Should I become an Engineer topic, and maybe if you are considering engineering, read up about the different kinds and find out yourself since it is you who has to decide for yourself. Again though I would probably decide myself about what to do rather than have someone push me into it. Like you said, what if you hate engineering once you're in the program, that's no good at all.

Don't know if that answered much for you but its just a bit of insight for ya..

I can't really answer your question for you, but what I will say is this: I think when you are young it is more important to choose the path that gives you the most freedom to make choices later in life. It's totally normal to know know what you want at age 17! Even if you did know you'd probably change you mind later.

The one thing that matters is to keep taking courses that let you use your mind in different ways. Some people never take another math course after they leave high school, others go into such intense technical programs that later on when they decide that they would rather be... oh a reporter or something, they can't make the change.

Take a hard math class, take a class about science, try hard and you'll see what you love.

It sounds like you need to look for a school with solid math and science courses, but also a place that has a pretty good "liberal arts" program.

You don't need to declare a major in your first year of university anyway.

You should tell your dad that this is your plan, let him know that you don't know what you want to do yet and **take your time to think about it.** (It's worth it!)

After a year or two at university you will have better sense of what might be right for you. Just try to keep your options open.

Last edited:
Let me give you this piece of advice: If you really do not like engineering, do not do it. You will hate your life all throughout university and after. Do not let your father force you into engineering. Tell him you have really considered engineering, but you do not feel it is for you. If he is a reasonable person then he will have to understand.

I can sort of understand the fact that he does not want you to go into archeology, but if that's really where your interest is, then that is where you will do best.

Thanks for the swift replies.

And yeah, I am going to try and keep up as much research as I can, as this is quite a big step I have to make sure I've chosen the rigth thing etc etc.

Its not that I don't like engineering, meh I've never even experienced what it could be like, its just after reading what it involves and stuff I am not fully convinced its what I want to be involved in, but it may well be, I just can't decide. My worst fear of taking engineering will be that I won't end up keeping up with the work load, as some people have told me there is ALOT of work involved at Uni for it, and I feel that I may screw up in that section.

so if I feel this way, does that mean I shouldn't even consider engineering? Its just, I know life doesn't work like this, but I would love to be able to find a course that allows me to use the skills I have in math and physics but with a moderate work load that won't over power me.

And futurebird, you say after a year at uni or so I could see what will be right for me, does that mean if I possibly end up choosing something I am not completely happy with its reletivly easy for me to change that around? I guess I am worried that once I've chosen something I am sending myself down an alley and getting trapped.

Im now sort of looking quite happily at Systems or Architectural engineering, I've got my head around what the architectural involves, and with a few more defintions Systems is looking quite interesting but I haven't really found a site that's put it in plain words if you get my meaning, if anyone could sum up what Systems will involve that would be great.

Thanks.

1. What does "in need of some overall advice" mean?

"In need of some overall advice" typically means that someone is seeking general guidance or recommendations on a particular topic or situation.

2. How do I know if I need overall advice?

If you feel unsure or stuck in a particular area, or if you are facing a complex or unfamiliar problem, seeking overall advice can help provide clarity and direction.

3. Who can provide overall advice?

Overall advice can be sought from a variety of sources, such as mentors, experts in the field, or even friends and family who have experience in the area you need advice on.

4. How do I find the right person to give me overall advice?

It's important to consider the qualifications and experience of the person you are seeking advice from. You can also ask for recommendations from trusted sources or do research to find someone with relevant expertise.

5. Is overall advice always helpful?

Overall advice can be very helpful in providing new perspectives and insights, but it's important to remember that not all advice may be applicable to your specific situation. Use your own judgement and consider all factors before making a decision based on advice received.