In order to build a wormhole. .

In summary: There are a number of various wormhole metrics in this paper/presentation, including a Schwarzschild wormhole.
snoopies622
According to Wikipedia's "Wormhole" essay, this is a metric for a traversable wormhole :
[tex]
ds^2 = -c^2 dt^2 + dl^2 + (k^2 + l^2)(d \theta ^2 + sin ^2 \theta d \phi ^2)
[/tex]
If we assume the Einstein relation
[tex]
R_{uv} - \frac {1}{2} R g_{uv} = \frac {8 \pi G}{c^4} T_{uv}
[/tex]
what kind of distribution of mass / energy is consistent with this spacetime geometry? (I'm guessing k is a constant and l is something like radius? The essay never bothers to say.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is the same wormhole metric that I am studying. According to my calculations, in an orthonormal basis the stress energy momentum tensor is as follows:

T00 and T11 = - k2c4 /(8πG) (k2 + l2)2

T22 and T33= k2c4 /(8πG) (k2 + l2)2

Note that the two angular elements are the same as the first two except with an opposite sign.

Every other element is 0.

In a coordinate basis, the temporal and radial elements are the same as above.
T22 = k2c4 /(8πG) (k2 + l2) (coordinate basis)
T33 = k2c4sin2(θ) /(8πG) (k2 + l2) (coordinate)
Every other element is 0.

I hope this helps.

See this thread, particularly my posts #4 and #5:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-of-the-stress-energy-momentum-tensor.781694/

Note that, for physical interpretation, the best components of the SET to use are the mixed components (with one upper and one lower index); the 0-0 component of the mixed tensor is positive (as opposed to the tensor space-time wrote down, with two lower indexes, and a negative 0-0 component).

Thank you both, very informative! I guess it's those negative signs which make this kind of wormhole physically . . . improbable?

You'd need a time machine (more formally, closed timelike curves) to "construct" a wormhole classically - see reference 5 of "Wormholes, time machines, and the weak energy condition", http://authors.library.caltech.edu/9262/1/MORprl88.pdf.

The same paper suggests that [edit]
using a theory of quantum gravity that goes beyond General Relativity, wormholes might exist as a consequence of an idea known as "quantum foam", and that it might be possible to stabilize one of these quantum foam wormholes, possibly turning them into time machines after you've stabilized them.

You'd also need to violate the "weak energy condition" - which means a negative energy density in some frames - to stabilize the wormholes, assuming that they exist.

Last edited:
Thanks, pervect. Just to be clear, is the metric studied in that paper
[tex]
ds^2 = - e ^ {2 \phi } dt ^2 + dl ^ 2 + r ^ 2 (d \theta ^2 + sin ^ 2 \theta d \phi ^2 )
[/tex]
the same one I sited in my original post, but in a slightly different coordinate system?

Edit: Nah, that makes no sense — never mind.

Last edited:
The paper that I'm aware of that discusses that particular metric is " M. S. Morris, K. S. Thorne, Wormholes in spacetime and their use for interstellar travel: A tool for teaching general relativity, Am. J. Phys. 56, 395-412, 1988.". It's got many of the same authors as the paper I mentioned, but it's focus is different.

Excellent, I will print a copy of it (and the other one) when I next get to the UNH physics library.

I haven't had the time these last several years to go back over the equations for wormholes so could someone please remind me why you would need negative energy to hold one open. The last time I asked a professor about it they explained it badly with something about how you energy expanding as it comes out requires the need for it. This made little sense to me, I hadn't been over the equations in over a year at the time, cause that very same energy was previously compressed on the otherside so shouldn't this balance out?

Well, for the metric in my original post, the negative term in the stress energy tensor apparently just follows from the Einstein gravity equation. And since the Schwarzschild metric is a vacuum solution, I suppose that a Schwarzschild wormhole should properly contain neither positive nor negative energy. (Now I'm wondering, how many wormhole metrics are there?)

snoopies622 said:
a Schwarzschild wormhole should properly contain neither positive nor negative energy.

Correct, the Schwarzschild solution is a vacuum solution; but the "wormhole" in it is only open for an instant, and nothing can pass through it from one "universe" to the other--it closes so fast that even a beam of light gets caught in the black hole before it can get through the wormhole.

Likes snoopies622
Now I know it's been a while but all of the metrics seem to take into account things coming out of it without also considering the fact that anything leaving would have had to enter first. Am I right in this observation or has the time since having looked over those metrics extensively caused me to miss something?

Aren't they all time independent? I would think that means that they take into account neither matter going into them nor matter coming out of them.

snoopies622 said:
Aren't they all time independent? I would think that means that they take into account neither matter going into them nor matter coming out of them.

Yes, I have seen discussions of what happens when masses travel through a wormhole (for instance Cramer's science columns, and Visser's book), but not a metric.

A very brief description of what happens: Each end of the wormhole has a mass which can be deduced from the gravitational field at long distances. (I've skimmed over some of the technicalities). When an object passes through the entrance to a wormhole, the continuity conditions require that that end gain the mass that entered, when an object exits through the exit, the exit side looses that mass.

See for instance http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/9409051.pdf

Related to In order to build a wormhole. .

What is a wormhole?

A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel-like structure in space-time that connects two distant points, allowing for faster-than-light travel between them.

How do you build a wormhole?

Currently, there is no known way to build a wormhole. The theories for constructing a wormhole involve manipulating space-time using immense amounts of energy, exotic matter, and advanced technology that we do not currently possess.

What is the purpose of building a wormhole?

The potential purpose of building a wormhole would be to greatly reduce travel time between two distant points, making interstellar travel possible. It could also potentially allow for time travel and exploration of parallel universes.

What are the challenges in building a wormhole?

One of the major challenges is the amount of energy required to create and maintain a stable wormhole. Additionally, finding and manipulating the necessary exotic matter, which has properties not found in our current understanding of physics, would be another obstacle.

Is it ethical to build a wormhole?

This is a highly debated topic and is subject to individual beliefs and values. Some argue that the potential benefits of building a wormhole, such as advancing space exploration and potentially finding new habitable planets, outweigh any potential negative consequences. Others argue that the risks and unknown consequences of manipulating space-time are too great to justify such actions.