In regards to Maxwell's Demon

In summary, there is a non-zero probability of all molecules possessing kinetic energy above T1 making their way to the first chamber and all molecules possessing kinetic energy less than T2 making their way to the second chamber if the system remains in this configuration indefinitely.
wkassis
In regards to "Maxwell's Demon"

In regards to the Maxwell's Demon thought experiment and violation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics, I have a scenario that results in (a) question(s).

First I won't pretend to have extensive knowledge of Thermodynamics so bear with me...

Say we have two insulated chambers of temperatures T1 and T2, and we create a small opening connecting them. Criticism of Maxwell's Demon violating the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics lies in energy expenditure by the so called "Demon" monitoring the motion of all molecules in the chambers.

Let's say, in a new scenario, there is no demon controlling this opening. Let it be open indefinitely. Is there not a non-zero probability that all molecules possessing kinetic energy above T1 can make their way to the first chamber and all molecules possessing kinetic energy less than T2 make their way to the second chamber? If the system remains in this configuration indefinitely, will it not violate the Second Law?

Physics news on Phys.org

wkassis said:
In regards to the Maxwell's Demon thought experiment and violation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics, I have a scenario that results in (a) question(s).

First I won't pretend to have extensive knowledge of Thermodynamics so bear with me...

Say we have two insulated chambers of temperatures T1 and T2, and we create a small opening connecting them. Criticism of Maxwell's Demon violating the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics lies in energy expenditure by the so called "Demon" monitoring the motion of all molecules in the chambers.

Let's say, in a new scenario, there is no demon controlling this opening. Let it be open indefinitely. Is there not a non-zero probability that all molecules possessing kinetic energy above T1 can make their way to the first chamber and all molecules possessing kinetic energy less than T2 make their way to the second chamber? If the system remains in this configuration indefinitely, will it not violate the Second Law?

There is nothing preventing a temporary net imbalance.

How would it remain that way for any length of time, let alone indefinitely? It's one thing for it to have a non-zero chance of all molecules fighting against entropy to get into one chamber, but it's another for them to keep fighting it indefinitely.

Indeed, the difference between your case and that of that of Maxwell's demon is that in the former case you have to rely on luck, whereas in the latter Maxwell's demon will make it so.

More drastically: Maxwell's demon can obviously power your engine. Now, following your logic, luck can also power your engine, but you'd have to wait a long time before hitting the highway huh ;)

DaveC426913 said:
There is nothing preventing a temporary net imbalance.

How would it remain that way for any length of time, let alone indefinitely? It's one thing for it to have a non-zero chance of all molecules fighting against entropy to get into one chamber, but it's another for them to keep fighting it indefinitely.

Some configuration in which none of the molecules "contact" the gap in the insulating wall after the transfer of high/low kinetic energy molecules.

I understand the low probability of such a configuration considering intermolecular collisions or forces. But does a non-zero probability have ramifications on the Law nonetheless?

But does a non-zero probability have ramifications on the Law nonetheless?
Ah if that is your question: yes. The second law is a probabilistic law, it's not always true, it's just very very very likely to be true. That's what Maxwell wanted to show with his demon, actually.

mr. vodka said:
Ah if that is your question: yes. The second law is a probabilistic law, it's not always true, it's just very very very likely to be true. That's what Maxwell wanted to show with his demon, actually.

Alright great, I guess a more complete understanding of the 2nd law would've answered that for me. Thanks for your help!

1. What is Maxwell's Demon?

Maxwell's Demon is a thought experiment created by physicist James Clerk Maxwell in 1867. It is used to explore the concept of the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy (disorder) of a closed system will always increase over time.

2. How does Maxwell's Demon work?

In the thought experiment, Maxwell's Demon is a hypothetical being that can open and close a small door between two chambers filled with gas particles. By selectively allowing fast-moving particles to pass through the door into one chamber and slow-moving particles into the other, the Demon could create a temperature difference and decrease the overall entropy of the system.

3. Is Maxwell's Demon possible?

No, Maxwell's Demon is not possible in the physical world. The thought experiment violates the second law of thermodynamics, which is a fundamental principle of physics. It suggests that there are limitations on our ability to control and manipulate energy and entropy.

4. What are the implications of Maxwell's Demon?

The thought experiment of Maxwell's Demon has led to many discussions and debates in the scientific community about the nature of energy and entropy. It has also inspired further research and advancements in the field of thermodynamics, such as the development of the Maxwell's Demon computer, which uses information to control the flow of particles.

5. How does Maxwell's Demon relate to other scientific concepts?

Maxwell's Demon has connections to various other scientific concepts, including information theory, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. It has also been used to explore topics such as free will, determinism, and the role of observation in physics.