In your opinions, who are the top 10 living Australian physicists?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of ranking the best intellectual physicists in Australia and why people feel compelled to make lists in general. The conversation also mentions the name of physicist David Blair and his potential inclusion in the list.

Best living Australian Physicist

• David Blair

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Derek Abbott

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sean Cadogan

• George Christos

• Rod Crewther

• Ben Eggleton

• Geoff Wilson

• Oleg Sushkov

• Rodney Jory

• Other please list

• Total voters
JasonDunning
Just curious who everyone ranks as the best intellectual physicists in Australia

Physics news on Phys.org
They've all contributed to different areas.

Why do folks feel compelled to list best or top 10 of people (or anything) in any category?

Astronuc said:
Why do folks feel compelled to list best or top 10 of people (or anything) in any category?

Because humans are highly competitive animals.

Don't know any of them by name

David Blair.
I trust the judgment of those who have voted earlier. :smile:
Besides, his name is the most melodic, and that shouldn't count against him.

I thought all physicists were Egyptians now.

If you promise me that all of those people are Austrailian, and add one more to your poll, then I will be able to choose my top 10.

1. Who are considered the top 10 living Australian physicists?

The top 10 living Australian physicists are often considered to be: Michelle Yvonne Simmons, Brian Schmidt, David Reilly, Rana Adhikari, Jocelyn Bell Burnell, Tamara Davis, Alan Duffy, Matthew Bailes, Elizabeth Blackburn, and Veerle Keppens.

2. What contributions have these physicists made to the field?

These physicists have made significant contributions to the field of physics in various areas such as quantum computing, astrophysics, particle physics, and materials science. For example, Michelle Yvonne Simmons is known for her pioneering work in quantum computing, while Brian Schmidt won the Nobel Prize in Physics for his discovery of the accelerating expansion of the universe.

3. Are there any notable female physicists on this list?

Yes, there are several notable female physicists on this list including Michelle Yvonne Simmons, Jocelyn Bell Burnell, Tamara Davis, and Elizabeth Blackburn. These women have made groundbreaking contributions to the field of physics and have received numerous awards and accolades for their work.

4. What sets these physicists apart from others in the field?

These physicists are known for their innovative and groundbreaking research, as well as their ability to effectively communicate complex concepts to a wider audience. They have also received recognition and awards for their contributions, further solidifying their place among the top physicists in Australia.

5. Are there any up-and-coming Australian physicists who may make this list in the future?

There are certainly many talented and promising young physicists in Australia who may make this list in the future. Some notable names include Michael Biercuk, who is known for his work in quantum computing, and Lisa Harvey-Smith, an astrophysicist and science communicator. With their dedication and contributions to the field, they have the potential to join the ranks of the top Australian physicists in the future.