TOP 10 PHYSICISTS ALIVE (theoretical and experimental)

In summary, the conversation is about requesting the opinions of people in a forum related to physics on the most influential physicists alive or more brilliant. The speaker suggests creating two lists - one for the top ten theoretical physicists and one for the top ten experimental physicists - and including the name, main contributions, a comment, and potentially a photo and link for each physicist. It is also requested to avoid mixing the lists and to let the speaker know if anything is missing to improve the lists.
Casco
I would like to read the opinion of the people in this forum given that (I think) the most part of the people here is related to physics. I have been searching in the web for a list of the most influential physicists alive or more brilliant, but the lists that I have found seem to be not so convincing. So I would like to hear the opinion from the people of this great forum.

I would like to give some rules, which are the following:

1. Two lists that consist in the following: the top ten of theoretical physicists alive and the top ten of experimetal physicists alive.

2. The name of the physicist (obviously), its main contributions to physics followed by a little comment telling why you believe that he/she must be in the list. Optionally, It would be nice to have a photograpy of the physicist and finally if you want, you can put a link, for example one of wikipedia, where we can find more information of the physicist.

* It is no necessary to post both lists, if you want you can just include one of them.
* Please do not mix the lists and put the theoretical physicists in the theoretical list and the same for the experimental.

If there is something that I am missing please let me know so that the list can be better.

Physics news on Phys.org
This has been done a lot of time already. Please do a forum search for relevant threads.

1. Who are the top 10 physicists alive?

The top 10 physicists alive, according to various rankings and lists, are:

1. Stephen Hawking
  2. Steven Weinberg
  3. Edward Witten
  4. David Gross
  5. Juan Maldacena
  6. Alan Guth
  7. Gerard 't Hooft
  8. Leonard Susskind
  9. Max Tegmark
  10. Roger Penrose

2. What makes these physicists stand out among others?

These physicists are highly renowned for their significant contributions to theoretical and experimental physics, as well as their impact on the field as a whole. They have made groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in areas such as quantum mechanics, cosmology, and particle physics.

3. Are there any notable differences between theoretical and experimental physicists on this list?

Yes, there are notable differences between theoretical and experimental physicists on this list. Theoretical physicists, such as Stephen Hawking and Edward Witten, focus on developing and testing theories to explain physical phenomena. Experimental physicists, such as David Gross and Juan Maldacena, conduct experiments to gather data and test theories.

4. Are there any up-and-coming physicists who may make this list in the future?

It is difficult to predict who may make this list in the future as the field of physics is constantly evolving. However, there are many talented and promising young physicists who are making significant contributions to the field, such as Sabine Hossenfelder, Nima Arkani-Hamed, and Lisa Randall.

5. How does this list compare to past lists of top physicists?

There is no definitive list of the top physicists, as rankings and opinions may vary. Some past lists may include names such as Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, and Marie Curie, who are undoubtedly influential figures in the history of physics. However, this list focuses on the top physicists who are currently alive and actively contributing to the field.