Inclined plane with spring underneath.

In summary: Solve for k.In summary, the problem involves a 2.5kg body on a frictionless inclined plane with a height of 1.6m and a spring at the bottom with a rest extension of 30cm. The goal is to find the "k" value of the spring when it is compressed by a maximum of 12cm. The equation used is mgh = 1/2kx^2, where x is the distance the spring is compressed. The height does not depend on the inclination of the plane and the spring is perpendicular to the plane. The difference in height between the upper and lower points must be calculated in order to find the amount of gravitational energy that goes into the spring. This can be done
dttah

Homework Statement

A body of mass m = 2.5kg is on a frictionless inclined plane (by 40°). At an height of h = 1.6m.
On the bottom of the plane there's a spring, which at rest has an extension of 30cm.
If the spring is compressed maximum of 12cm, what's the "k" of the spring?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, there is conservation of energy because there is no friction.
mgh = 1/2kx^2

But there is an inclined plane so ...
mg(h/sen40) = 1/2kx^2

Now, the only step I don't fully get, what is X?
I thought x would be:
30cm - 12cm = 18cm.
So I could solve for k.

Is this right? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that the spring is lying on the ground and not sitting up against the slope then the angle of inclination doesn't matter, all you need is
[tex]mgh = \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]
Where x is the distance it is compressed (given as 12cm in the problem)

As a side note I reread your problem and you may be correct in saying that the [itex]x[/itex] is 18cm, I'm not exactly sure what your wording means.

It means that when it is not compressed, the spring has a length of 30cm's.
Then when the block pushes it, it's compressed of a maximum of 12 cm's.
Now I would like to know what I must plug into x.

A spring is comprensed or stretched along only one axis. That said, it seems that the confusion here is what must we use as x. If 12 cm (0.12 m) is the compressed lenght, then x = 0.12 m. But if 0.12 m is the final length of the spring, x would be instead 18 cm.
One question: is the spring lying along the inclined plane or is parallel to the floor at the bottom?
Note: you didn't have to use E = mg(h/sen 40°), since h must be and it is already parallel to g.

the spring would be perpendicular to the inclined plane, something like this (check attachment).

So, a question, when we have an inclined plane, and we want to find the potential energy.

mgh

h is always the height from the ground or it should be relative to the inclination of the plane?

Attachments

• scar.png
    scar.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 546
The height h doesn't depends of inclination; it is measured from the ground.
From the drawing you made, it is clear that not all gravitational potential energy goes into compressing the spring, if you take ground as a point of 0 gravitational potential energy. Try to find the difference in height between the upper point and the lower point (when the spring is compressed): that will give the amount of gravitational energy that goes in the spring.
Hint: draw a triangle whose hypotenuse is 18 cm at the position of the spring, in order to find the height of the lower point.

Last edited:
I don't think I follow.

To find the difference in height, try 1.6 m - (0.18 m) sen 40°. Calculate gravitational energy and equate it to elastic potential energy.

What is an inclined plane with a spring underneath?

An inclined plane with a spring underneath is a simple machine that consists of a sloped surface (the inclined plane) and a spring placed underneath it. When an object is placed on the inclined plane, the spring compresses, creating a force that can help lift or move the object up the slope.

How does an inclined plane with a spring underneath work?

An inclined plane with a spring underneath works by using the stored potential energy in the compressed spring to help lift or move an object up the slope of the inclined plane. As the spring pushes against the object, it reduces the amount of force needed to move the object up the slope.

What are some real-world applications of an inclined plane with a spring underneath?

An inclined plane with a spring underneath can be used in a variety of applications, including car jacks, garage doors, and exercise equipment. It is also commonly used in industrial settings to move heavy objects up ramps or inclines.

What are the advantages of using an inclined plane with a spring underneath?

The main advantage of using an inclined plane with a spring underneath is that it reduces the amount of force needed to lift or move an object. This can make it easier to move heavy objects, or to move objects over longer distances.

Are there any disadvantages to using an inclined plane with a spring underneath?

One potential disadvantage of using an inclined plane with a spring underneath is that the amount of force produced by the spring may not be enough to move extremely heavy objects. Additionally, the spring may wear out over time and need to be replaced.