1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inclined Planes; Finding Force of Friction

1. Jul 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 275 N box is sliding down a frictionless inclined plane. If the incline makes an angle of 30.0 degrees with the horizontal, what is the acceleration along the incline?

I dont need to know how to figure out the solution to this problem - yet, atleast.
    Im trying to figure out how to find the Force of friction.
    Could anyone help me out on this?

Through my calculations, i have determed:
    Fg = 275 N
    F[Parallel] = 157.73 N
    mass = 28.03 kg

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2008 #2
    The force of friction is defined to be [tex]\mu \mathbf{N}\text{ where } \mu \text{ is the frictional constant and } \mathbf{N}[/tex] is the normal force. But there is of course no friction involved in this problem.

4. Jul 9, 2008 #3
    ..yeahhhh....okkay?
    Im trying to figure it out without that formula..

5. Jul 9, 2008 #4
    Hmm, I'm confused as to what you're asking then.

6. Jul 9, 2008 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

If they say that the surface is frictionless, that means that the frictional force is zero.

7. Jul 9, 2008 #6
    Ah crap. i think i might have posted the question above the question i actually needed. But k nvm i figured out the answer :) Thanks anyways guys

8. Jul 9, 2008 #7
    No problem at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?