1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Incoming Applied Math Major- Advice

1. Aug 8, 2014 #1
    Hey guys, I've taken a long break from the forum by I've decided on a college and major. I'm attending the Virginia Military Institute as an Applied Mathematics major. I had some questions about where to go from here:

This is a link to the math curriculum: http://vmi.catalog.acalog.com/preview_program.php?catoid=11&poid=541&returnto=333 . How does it look in terms of skills needed for grad school or the workforce?

I was interested in possibly doing analysis for companies or financial institutions. For this, would I be best served getting a minor in Business, or taking classes in Physics and CompSci?

Could this track lead to a Masters in Engineering, CompSci, or Statistics?

Any advice in general?

Thanks so much!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2014 #2
    I don't have any advice for you, but I have seen some video's of that school, it is intense! Good luck to you! Are you intending to serve?

4. Aug 8, 2014 #3
    I am on Army ROTC scholarship, but I can opt out after a year. Not positive if I want to serve or not. Thank you!

5. Aug 9, 2014 #4

joshmccraney

Gold Member

looks pretty typical. for grad school, it's going to depend on what you want to research. whatever that will be, you'll orient you undergrad to suit that (don't worry about this now if you haven't taken any of those classes listed).

compsci is a HUGE plus! i'm in grad school and wish i'd have learned it in undergrad!
    yes. but again, if you haven't taken any of the above classes, don't worry about grad school yet. it's so far away and you haven't gotten your hands dirty yet.

hope this helps

(my undergrad was math and I'm in grad school for mechanical engineering)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook