Increase Laser Power out of fiber optic

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
roadrunner123
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I am working on a project and am combining three laser beams in an effort to make artificial white light out of the end of the fiber. It is currently producing about 1 mw of power. How could I increase the power out of the end of the optical fiber?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please give us more information? Some drawings or schematics?
 
Here is a rough sketch. The ellipses the lasers are going through represent prisms. The thicker line where the lasers (green, blue, yellow) meet represents the optical fiber. I thought about placing a lens of some sort between the second prism and the optical fiber to focus the light more but not sure if that will increase the power a significant amount.
 
Attachments
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 522
I would try making your red/green/blue beams colinear before focusing them into the end of a fiber. I've found that a good 20x objective works best for standard single-mode telecom fibre; a lower mag objective can be used if the fibre is multimode.

Claude.