Increase stepper motor voltage past rated

In summary, increasing stepper motor voltage beyond its rated value can provide higher torque and faster rotation speeds, but it can also potentially damage the motor and affect its accuracy. The safe limit for increasing voltage varies and it is important to consider other factors such as the motor driver, power supply, and operating conditions before making any adjustments. It is recommended to consult the motor's datasheet or manufacturer for specific recommendations.
DannyMoretz
So I have a 28BYJ48 stepper motor... it is rated at a voltage of 5V. I would like to optimise its speed and torque, which could be done through increasing voltage, but I know that an increase in voltage means more current i.e. will get a little hot. My question is... if I do run it at a high speed, past the rated speed, will it get that hot.. compared to say running at a speed I could only achieve with rated ?
Thanks guys

Engineering news on Phys.org
It will get hotter running past its rating than at its rating.

1. What is the purpose of increasing stepper motor voltage past its rated value?

Increasing stepper motor voltage beyond its rated value can lead to higher torque and faster rotation speeds, making it useful for applications that require more power and speed.

2. Can increasing stepper motor voltage damage the motor?

Yes, increasing stepper motor voltage beyond its rated value can cause damage to the motor, such as overheating, insulation breakdown, and ultimately, motor failure.

3. How much can I increase the stepper motor voltage safely?

The safe limit for increasing stepper motor voltage varies depending on the specific motor and manufacturer. It is recommended to consult the motor's datasheet or contact the manufacturer for the recommended voltage range.

4. Will increasing stepper motor voltage affect its accuracy?

Yes, increasing stepper motor voltage can affect its accuracy as it can lead to increased vibration and resonance, which can result in lost steps and decreased precision in positioning.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when increasing stepper motor voltage?

Yes, other factors to consider include the motor driver's capabilities, the power supply's current and voltage rating, and the motor's load and operating conditions. It is crucial to ensure all components can handle the increased voltage to avoid damage.