Increasing dynamic pressure in a pipe

In summary, this person is looking for a water pump that can give him a head pressure of around 7-10 psi. He is looking for a 300-500 gph pump that can give him this pressure. He is considering a weak well/sump pump, but is worried about noise.
petitericeball
I'm starting a project involving a venturi and water, and for the venturi, I need the water pressure to be around 7-10 psi. This means for my water pump, the head height must be around 15-20 ft. Most pumps that fulfill this requirement are either too expensive or are too powerful for my application. I'm looking for a 300-500 gph pump that can give me the 7 psi (most pumps are in the thousands of gph by this point, or are hundreds of dollars). I'm wondering if there is a way to convert flow (gph) into psi (head height) by changing the shape or diameter of the piping. I know if I make the piping smaller, it will reduce pressure (Bernoulli's) but at what point would increasing the diameter of the pipe stop helping me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the reason for this, how long do you need to flow for?

The very cheapest way to get 20 feet of head pressure, is to build a reservoir 20 ft up. This of course limits the amount of time you will get the desired flow rate depending on how big you can make the tank. You can then use a cheap pump to repump this up to the top.

Although to be honest a couple of hundered pounds/dollars for a pump isn't really that much (it's certainly not silly money) and that would be by far the best way to achieve the goal.

Okay, I'll go through what I actually need to do... I am using a venturi (mazzei injector) to pump CO2 into my fish tank for the plants (I know.. nerdy) and am also supplementing macro/micronutrients. For the venturi to work properly, it needs between 5-10 psi of pressure (when the venturi goes through the narrow part, it speeds up, agitates itself, and when I inject the CO2 at this point, the absorption rate goes way up, near 100%. The problem with the water supply 20 ft up, is getting the water up there. This will need to be a closed loop (meaning I'm not going to be filling the reservoir with the faucet and end up draining the water from the fish tank into the drain), so then the pump still needs that 20 ft of head height, and I might as well just connected the pump directly to the injector. Since this is a small project (30 gallons) the 1500gph that I would get with the normal water pumps would totally destroy my tank (fish getting sucked up, plants getting uprooted). If I had something like a 75-125 gallon tank, I would probably go with the $150 pump, but I'm hoping I won't have to.. :)

I was thinking a weak well/sump pump might work, but I'm worried about noise, and that it will be running 24/7, unlike the ones in your home.

Sounds like a swimming pool pump to me. There are also water pumps in McMaster Carr that do exactly what you're asking. Take a look at P/N: 9989K56
http://www.mcmaster.com/#water-pumps/=7k1e8o
(7.5 GPM @ 20 ft head)

I would suggest considering alternative methods to increase the dynamic pressure in the pipe instead of solely relying on the pump's flow rate and head height. One option could be to use a nozzle at the end of the pipe to create a narrow jet of water, which can increase the velocity and therefore the dynamic pressure. Another option could be to use a pressure intensifier, which can amplify the pressure of the water by using hydraulic principles.

In terms of changing the shape or diameter of the piping, it is important to consider the flow rate and the Reynolds number, which is a dimensionless parameter that describes the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces in a fluid. At higher Reynolds numbers, the flow is more turbulent and can lead to a decrease in pressure. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully design and test the piping system to ensure that the desired pressure is achieved.

In conclusion, there are various methods and factors to consider when trying to increase the dynamic pressure in a pipe. It is important to carefully evaluate and test different options to find the most efficient and cost-effective solution for your specific application.

1. What is dynamic pressure in a pipe and why is it important?

Dynamic pressure in a pipe is the force that is exerted on the walls of the pipe by a moving fluid. It is important because it affects the flow rate and efficiency of the fluid in the pipe, which can impact the performance of a system.

2. How can I increase dynamic pressure in a pipe?

There are a few ways to increase dynamic pressure in a pipe. One way is to increase the flow rate of the fluid by using a pump or increasing the pressure at the source. Another way is to decrease the diameter of the pipe, which will increase the velocity and therefore the dynamic pressure.

3. What are some factors that can affect the dynamic pressure in a pipe?

The viscosity of the fluid, the diameter of the pipe, and the flow rate of the fluid are all factors that can affect the dynamic pressure in a pipe. Additionally, any obstructions or changes in the shape of the pipe can also impact the dynamic pressure.

4. Can I use a pressure regulator to increase dynamic pressure in a pipe?

No, a pressure regulator is used to control and maintain a specific pressure in a pipe, not to increase dynamic pressure. To increase dynamic pressure, you would need to use a pump or adjust other factors such as the diameter of the pipe.

5. Are there any risks associated with increasing dynamic pressure in a pipe?

Yes, increasing dynamic pressure can put stress on the walls of the pipe and potentially cause damage or leaks. It is important to carefully consider the capabilities and limitations of the pipe and system before attempting to increase the dynamic pressure.