Ind the magnitude of the electric field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 10K views
Oblivion77
Messages
113
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


4hv2mr.png

148kug.png


Find the magnitude of the electric field these wires produce at point P, which is 60.0cm from each wire

Homework Equations



E = kQ/r^2, [tex]\lambda[/tex]=Q/L

The Attempt at a Solution



I am not exactly sure how to set up the integral, I have the formula of a general case (with no numbers, just letters). But I am confused how to do it with actual numbers, I don't just want to plug numbers into the formula. I want to know how to derive it. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I might have figured it out, last thing that is confusing me is the limits of integration. I need to integrate over the length of the rod but not sure what the lower and upper limits should be? Would it be 0 for lower and 1.20 for upper for both of the rods?
 
Have you tried working it out for a single finite rod? What difference do you think will be there between the fields due to the two line charges? It would help if you said how you are setting about solving the problem.
 
Oblivion77 said:
I need to integrate over the length of the rod but not sure what the lower and upper limits should be? Would it be 0 for lower and 1.20 for upper for both of the rods?
Essentially, you decide. The only condition is that the difference between the limits is equal to the length of the rod. However, there are "good" choices and "not-so-good" choices. Typically, you want to set up an integral in order to make full use of symmetry.