Indefinite integral and average distance

In summary, to find the average distance to the x-axis for points in the region bounded by the x-axis and the graph of y = x - x^2, you can use integration to calculate the area of the region and then divide the integral of the distance function by the area. This is represented by the formula [tex]\frac{\int\int_R f(x,y)dydx}{\int\int_R dydx}[/itex].
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

Find the average distance to the x-axis for points in the region bounded by the x-axis and the graph of y = x - x^2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone guide me how to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pick any point in the region...what is the distance from that point to the x-axis?

If you had a finite number of points in the region, you would add up the distance from each point to the x-axis and divide by the number of points, correct?

Well, there are of course an infinite number of points in the region, so instead of adding, you integrate...

The "average value" of any function, f(x,y) on a region R is
[tex]\frac{\int_R f(x,y)dxdy}{area of R}[/tex]

what is the area of R here? I already calculate the integral part

-EquinoX- said:
what is the area of R here? I already calculate the integral part

How do you usually calculate the area of a region?

How do you normally calculate the area of a region bounded by a curve and the x-axis? Have you made a sketch of the region?

yes I have made a sketch, it's an upside down parabola right? so I should do integration to find the area?

Yes, of course. You want
[tex]\frac{\int\int_R f(x,y)dydx}{\int\int_R dydx}[/itex]
where f(x,y) is the "distance to the x-axis".

okay got it. Thanks

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the antiderivative or the reverse operation of differentiation. It is used to find the original function when its derivative is known.

2. How is an indefinite integral different from a definite integral?

An indefinite integral yields a family of functions, while a definite integral gives a specific numeric value. The constant of integration is included in an indefinite integral, while it is not included in a definite integral.

3. How is the average distance calculated using an indefinite integral?

The average distance is calculated by finding the total distance traveled divided by the time taken. This can be represented as an indefinite integral of the velocity function over a given time interval.

4. Can an indefinite integral be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, indefinite integrals can be used to solve real-world problems such as finding the average velocity or distance traveled in physics, calculating the average rate of change in business, or determining the area under a curve in economics.

5. Is there a difference between "indefinite integral" and "antiderivative"?

No, the terms "indefinite integral" and "antiderivative" are used interchangeably and refer to the same concept of finding the original function from its derivative.