Finding an indefinite integral

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the indefinite integral of the function ## \int\frac{3x^3}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}## and the process of solving it using a substitution method. The person made a mistake in their integration, but eventually realized it and was able to check their answer by differentiating it.
nightingale123

Homework Statement

Calculate the indefinite integral of the function ## \int\frac{3x^3}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}##
my book gives the answer ##-(2+x^2)\sqrt{1-x^2}+C##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I started trying to calculate this indefinite integral by using a substitution ##x=\sin(\theta)##

so ##dx=\cos{\theta}d\theta##

then I substituted this term into my integral and got

##3\int\frac{\sin^3\theta*\cos\theta*d\theta}{\cos\theta}##

Then I canceled out the ## \cos\theta## and wrote ##\sin^2\theta=1-\cos^2\theta##

##3\int\sin\theta*(1-\cos^2\theta*)d\theta##

here I substituted another new variable ##\cos\theta=t\Rightarrow dt=-\sin\theta d\theta## and I substituted that into my integral and got

##3\int(1-t^2)dt##

which is equal to ##-3t+t^3+C##
and when I inserted all my renamed variables back into the equation I got
## \int\frac{3x^3}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}=-3\cos{(\sin^{-1}x)}+(\cos({\sin^{-1}x}))^3##
Which is nowhere near the answer that is given in my textbook so I don't even know where I made my mistake
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get, if you differentiate both solutions?
How do you know, that they aren't the same?

Last edited:
Likes nightingale123
Try putting x=sinθ again and simplifying. Note that you seem to have made a sign error in your last integration.

John Park said:
Try putting x=sinθ again and simplifying. Note that you seem to have made a sign error in your last integration.
No sign error in the integration result, only in the line before. But that's not the point. You simply have two expressions of possibly the same result.

Likes nightingale123
Thank you. I completely forgot that I could check my answer by just deriving what I got and checking if it is the same as the equation I started with

What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is the opposite of a derivative. It is a mathematical operation that finds a general function whose derivative is equal to the given function.

How do you find an indefinite integral?

To find an indefinite integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. You can also use online calculators or computer software to find the indefinite integral.

What is the difference between an indefinite integral and a definite integral?

An indefinite integral results in a general function, while a definite integral results in a specific value. In other words, an indefinite integral does not have upper and lower limits, while a definite integral does.

Why is finding an indefinite integral useful?

Finding an indefinite integral allows us to solve problems involving rates of change and accumulation, such as finding the distance traveled by an object or the amount of water in a tank at a given time.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when finding an indefinite integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid when finding an indefinite integral include forgetting to add the constant of integration, not using the correct integration techniques, and mixing up the order of operations.