Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Independence of events question

1. Feb 7, 2016 #1
    Hello,

I am studying independence of events and I came across a formula that I don't understand. It is rather technical, not very interesting, but I feel stuck and it stays in my mind. Could you explain the following :

If ## (A_i)_{i\in I}## is a sequence of independent events on ##(\Omega,{\cal A}, P)##, then, given the partition ## I_1 \cup I_2## of ##I##, the sequence of events ##(B_i)_{i\in I}## defined by ## B_i = A_i ## if ##i\in I_1## and ##B_i = A_i^c## if ##i\in I_2## is also independent.

To prove this, one must show that for any finite set ##J\subset I## : ##P(\bigcap_{j\in J} B_j) = \prod_{j\in J} P(B_j)##

Since ## J = J_1 \cup J_2##, where ## J_i = I_i \cap J ##, we have ## \bigcap_{j\in J} B_j = (\bigcap_{j\in J_1} A_j) \bigcap (\bigcap_{j\in J_2} A_j^c) =(\bigcap_{j\in J_1} A_j) - (\bigcup_{j\in J_2} A_j) ##

so that
    ##P(\bigcap_{j\in J} B_j) = P(\bigcap_{j\in J_1} A_j) - P(\bigcup_{j\in J_2} A_j) ##

With the inclusion-exclusion principle
    ## P(\bigcup_{j\in J_2} A_j) = \sum_{ K\subset J_2 \ |K| = 1} P(\bigcap_{j\in K} A_j ) - \sum_{ K\subset J_2 \ |K| = 2} P(\bigcap_{j\in K} A_j ) + ... + (-1)^{|J_2|-1} P(\bigcap_{j\in J_2} A_j) ##

But I don't see how to finish this once ##P(\bigcap_j A_j ) ## is developped into a product !

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2016 #2
    Oh I've made a mistake I get it now :

##\bigcap_{j\in J} B_j = A\cap B^c = A - A\cap B##

with ##A = \bigcap_{j\in J_1} A_j## and ##B = \bigcup_{j\in J_2} A_j ##

we have ## A \cap B = \bigcup_{j\in J_2} \bigcap_{k\in J_1} (A_k \cap A_j) ##

And with the principle of inclusion exclusion and the independence of ##(A_i)_{i\in I}## we find ## P( A \cap B) = P(A) P(B) ##

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook