1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Independence of sigma-algebras

1. Jun 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex](A_n : n\in \mathbb{N})[/tex] be a sequence of events in a probability space. Show that the events [tex]A_n[/tex] are independent if and only if the [tex]\sigma[/tex]-algebras [tex]\sigma(A_n)=\{\emptyset, A_n, A_n^c, \Omega\}[/tex] are independent.

2. Relevant equations

For [tex]\sigma[/tex]-algebras [tex]\mathcal{A}_i \subseteq \mathcal{F}[/tex] to be independent, we need that if [tex]A_i \in \mathcal{A}_i\forall i[/tex], then the [tex]A_i[/tex] must be independent.

For events [tex]A_i:i\in I[/tex] to be independent, we need that , for any finite subset [tex]J\subseteq I[/tex]:
    [tex]\mathbb{P}(\bigcap_{i\in J} A_i )=\prod_{i\in J} \mathbb{P}(A_i )[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So first assume that the [tex]\sigma[/tex]-algebras are independent. Now [tex]A_i \in \sigma(A_i) \forall i[/tex], so the [tex]A_i[/tex] must be independent.

Now assume that the events [tex]A_i[/tex] are independent. Now take events [tex]B_i[/tex] such that [tex]B_i \in A_i \forall i[/tex] Now we need to check that for any finite subset [tex]J \subseteq \mathbb{N}[/tex], that we have
    [tex]\mathbb{P}(\bigcap_{i\in J}B_i )=\prod_{i \in J} \mathbb{P}(B_i )[/tex]

Now if we have that for some [tex]i \in J,B_i =\emptyset[/tex], this is immediate (both sides are zero)
    If we have that for some [tex]i\in J,B_i =\Omega[/tex], it reduces to the case where [tex]\nexists i \in J[/tex] s.t. [tex]B_i=\Omega[/tex]
    So we are left with three cases to check:
    1. [tex]B_i =A_i \forall i \in J[/tex]
    2. [tex]B_i =A_i^c \forall i \in J[/tex]
    3. [tex]B_i =A_i[/tex] for some [tex]i \in J[/tex] and [tex]B_i =A_i^c[/tex] for the rest of [tex]i\in J[/tex]
    Case 1 follows immediately from the independence of the [tex]A_i[/tex]
    Case 2 Labelling the sets in [tex]J[/tex] from [tex]1[/tex] to [tex]n[/tex]
    [tex]
    \mathbb{P}(\bigcap_{i=1}^{n}A_i^c)=\mathbb{P}((\bigcup_{i=1}^{n}A_i )^c)\text{(De Morgan's law)}[/tex]
    [tex]=1-\mathbb{P}(\bigcup_{i=1}^{n} A_i)[/tex]
    [tex]=1-\sum_{1}^{n}\mathbb{P}(A_i)+\sum_{i,j:1\le i<J\le n}\mathbb{P}(A_i \cap A_j)+...-(-1)^{n-1}\mathbb{P}(\bigcap_{i=1}^{n}A_i) \text{(by Inclusion-Exclusion)}[/tex]
    [tex]=1-\sum_{i=1}^{n}\mathbb{P}(A_i)+\sum_{i,j:1\le i<J\le n}\mathbb{P}(A_i)\mathbb{P}( A_j)+...-(-1)^{n-1}\prod_{i-1}^{n}\mathbb{P}(A_i) \text{(by independence of} A_i )[/tex]
    [tex]=\prod_{i=1}^{n}(1-\mathbb{P}(A_i))[/tex]
    [tex]=\prod_{i=1}^{n}\mathbb{P}(A_i^c)
    [/tex]
    as required.
    So all that remains is to check case 3. That is, we need to show that if (possibly relabelling the [tex]A_i[/tex]) [tex]B_i =A_i \text{ } i=1,...,r[/tex]
    [tex]B_i=A_i^c\text{ } i=r+1,...,n[/tex] then
    [tex]\mathbb{P}(\bigcap_{i=1}^{n}B_i}=\prod_{i=1}^{n}\mathbb{P}(B_i)[/tex]
    [tex]\mathbb{P}(\bigcap_{i=1}^{n}B_{i})=\mathbb{P}((\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}B_i )\cap (\bigcap_{i=r+1}^{n}B_i ))
    [/tex]

Unfortunately, I've got stuck here and am unable to make any further progress.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2010 #2
    OK, so I have an answer:

[tex]\mathbb{P}((\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}B_i )\cap (\bigcap_{i=r+1}^{n}B_i ))[/tex]
    [tex]=\mathbb{P}((\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}A_i )\cap (\bigcap_{i=r+1}^{n}A_i^c ))[/tex]
    [tex]=\mathbb{P}((\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}A_i )\cap ((\bigcap_{i=r+1}^{n}A_i )^c))[/tex]
    Now assuming that [tex]\mathbb{P}(\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}A_i )>0[/tex] (if not, the result follows immediately)
    [tex]=\mathbb{P}(\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}A_i )\mathbb{P}((\bigcap_{i=r+1}^{n}A_i )^c|(\bigcap_{i=i}^{r}A_i))[/tex]
    [tex]=\mathbb{P}(\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}A_i )(1-\mathbb{P}((\bigcap_{i=r+1}^{n}A_i )|(\bigcap_{i=i}^{r}A_i)))[/tex]
    [tex]=\mathbb{P}(\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}A_i )\mathbb{P}(\bigcap_{i=r+1}^{n}A_i^c )[/tex]
    [tex]=\prod_{i=1}^{r}\mathbb{P}(A_i )\prod_{i=r+1}^{n}\mathbb{P}(A_i^c)[/tex]
    [tex]=\prod_{i=1}^{n}\mathbb{P}(B_i)[/tex]

as required

4. Jun 29, 2010 #3
    above answer does not work, I've applied De morgan's laws incorrectly

5. Jul 5, 2010 #4
    OK, so I have another answer:

[tex]\mathbb{P}((\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}B_i )\cap (\bigcap_{i=r+1}^{n}B_i ))[/tex]
    [tex]=\mathbb{P}((\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}A_i )\cap (\bigcap_{i=r+1}^{n}A_i^c ))[/tex]
    [tex]=\mathbb{P}((\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}A_i )\cap ((\bigcup_{i=r+1}^{n}A_i )^c))[/tex]
    Now assuming that [tex]\mathbb{P}(\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}A_i )>0[/tex] (if not, the result follows immediately)
    [tex]=\mathbb{P}(\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}A_i )\mathbb{P}((\bigcup_{i=r+1}^{n}A_i )^c|(\bigcap_{i=i}^{r}A_i))[/tex]
    [tex]=\mathbb{P}(\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}A_i )(1-\mathbb{P}((\bigcup_{i=r+1}^{n}A_i )|(\bigcap_{i=i}^{r}A_i)))[/tex]
    [tex]=\mathbb{P}(\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}A_i )(1-\mathbb{P}((\bigcup_{i=r+1}^{n}A_i )))[/tex]
    [tex]=\mathbb{P}(\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}A_i )\mathbb{P}((\bigcup_{i=r+1}^{n}A_i)^c)[/tex]
    [tex]=\mathbb{P}(\bigcap_{i=1}^{r}A_i )\mathbb{P}(\bigcap_{i=r+1}^{n}A_i^c )[/tex]
    [tex]=\prod_{i=1}^{r}\mathbb{P}(A_i )\prod_{i=r+1}^{n}\mathbb{P}(A_i^c)[/tex]
    [tex]=\prod_{i=1}^{n}\mathbb{P}(B_i)[/tex]

as required

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook