1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Affine independence in terms of linear independence

1. Oct 19, 2015 #1
    This question mostly pertains to how looking at affine independence entirely in terms of linear independence between different families of vectors. I understand there are quite a few questions already online pertaining to the affine/linear independence relationship, but I'm not quite able to find something that helps my particular problem, nor am I able to make the connection on my own.

I want to try and understand how the linear independence of a family of ##n## difference vectors from any arbitrary 'origin' vector, say ##(\overrightarrow{a_i a_0}, \ldots, \overrightarrow{a_i a_j}, \ldots \overrightarrow{a_i a_n})## where ##a_i\ and\ a_j \in \mathbb{R}^{n}## and ##j \neq i## for any arbitrary 'origin' ##i \in I##, implies the linear independence of the whole family of ##(n+1)## vectors ##(\hat{a_0}, \ldots, \hat{a_n})## where ##\hat{a_j} = (1, a_j)##

I am able to understand this from the perspective of using families of points, but I am unable to visualize how I would construct this only using families of vectors. I've tried looking at the vectors as position vectors, but I think that way of thinking would not necessarily be correct.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello and welcome to physicsforums.

I'm afraid your notation is quite unusual.

What does ##\overrightarrow{a_i a_0},## represent? Given that you've said ##a_i\in\mathbb{R}## that would suggest that ##\overrightarrow{a_i a_0}=a_0-a_i\in\mathbb{R}##, which is a scalar. You can think of that as a vector if you like, but ##\mathbb{R}## as vector space has only one dimension, so you can't have more than one linearly independent vector in it..

What does the right hand side of ##
    \hat{a_j} = (1, a_j)
    ## represent?

4. Oct 19, 2015 #3
    Thank you for your welcome.

I apologize. I meant to write ##\mathbb{R}^{n}##, not ##\mathbb{R}##. Yes, the notation ##\overrightarrow{a_i a_0},## is just used to represent ##(a_i - a_0) \in \mathbb{R}^{n}##. We can keep it in the latter form if it makes more sense.

And ## \hat{a_j} ## is just that. A vector ##\in \mathbb{R}^{n+1}## comprising of ##(1, a_j)##. I would like to know the intuition as to why the linear independence of these forms are equivalent.

5. Oct 19, 2015 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is it a proof, or a visualization, that you are missing? If it's a visualization, why not take a small concrete example.
    The easiest that still has vector structure is n=2. Take for instance a0=(1,1), a1=(2,2), a2=(1,2). Draw a picture of these in ##\mathbb{R}^2## and then another of what you get with the move into ##\mathbb{R}^3##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted