1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Index of refraction when total internal reflection ceases

1. Jul 14, 2007 #1
    light refractions problem

I dont even know where to start with this problem. Can someone please help me out?
    As shown in Figure P22.49, a light ray is incident normal to on one face of a 30°-60°-90° block of zircon(n= 1.923) that is immersed in water.

[​IMG]
    Figure P22.49
    (a) Determine the exit angle 4 of the ray.
    4 = wrong check mark°
    (b) A substance is dissolved in the water to increase the index of refraction. At what value of n2 does total internal reflection cease at point P?
    n2 =

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2007 #2

bel

For (a) : The light beam obviously entered at a normal to the shortest side of the triangular block since there wasn't any refraction, so using the fact that a triangle in a plane has a sum of internal angles of one hundred and eighty degrees, [tex]\theta_1=60^\circ [/tex]. And I suppose you know that in one single medium, for a reflection, incident angle equals reflected angle, using this, and Snell's law and the sum of internal angles for a triangle, you should be able to figure this out. Hope this helped.

For (b) : Total internal reflection occurs if critical angle is smaller than incident angle. Using Snell's law, the critical angle is the arcsine of [tex]\frac{n_2}{n_1}[/tex].

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  4. Jul 14, 2007 #3
    so using the sum of internal angles it looks like theta 3 would be 30 degrees? Because if you split the reflected ray there is a 30-60-90 triangle?

5. Jul 15, 2007 #4
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dataAs shown in Figure P22.49, a light ray is incident normal to on one face of a 30°-60°-90° block of zircon that is immersed in water.
    [​IMG]
    (b) A substance is dissolved in the water to increase the index of refraction. At what value of n2 does total internal reflection cease at point P?

2. Relevant equations
    theta critical= arcsin(n2/n1) and total internal reflection ceases when theta critical is less than theta incident

3. The attempt at a solution
    theta 4 is 46.16. I used 59.9=arcsin(n2/1.333) and got n2=1.15 but thats not correct but i dont understand because that is when theta critical is less than theta incident. theta incident is 60

6. Jul 16, 2007 #5

andrevdh

Homework Helper

You need to consider total internal reflection at point P (at [tex]\theta _1[/tex]).

Also n1 is for zirconium.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?