Indian with 22 MA degrees, 5 PhDs, and 3 D.Lits

• Thread starter ranger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary: Vedic_astrologyIn summary, R.K. Rai is a professor extraordinary who has acquired 22 MA degrees, five PhDs, and three D.Lits. He is also pursuing a MA in astrology from a renowned university. His dedication to academic learning is impressive.
ranger
Gold Member
Meet R.K. Rai, a scholar extraordinary. Over the years he has acquired MA degrees in 22 subjects, five PhDs and three D.Lits. But at the age of 65, he wants more...
http://sify.com/news/22-MA-degrees-5-PhDs-3-D-Lits-professor-learns-on-news-National-jm1mudaefid.html

I thought one of my undergrad profs with 1 PhD and 3 MSc was too much, but this guy wants more! Talk about a life dedicated to academic learning.

Physics news on Phys.org
my hero

I wonder how well he utilized his knowledge.

Not my first choice of subjects, but still impressive, an inspiration.

'I am at present pursuing MA in astrology from a renowned and one of the most ancient universities of the world, Sampurnanand Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Varanasi,' said Rai, who lives in the Mohamdabad area in Ghazipur.

/unimpressed

looks like astrology is actually taught in universities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vedic_astrology

In 2001, the University Grants Commission of India issued a circular proposing that universities should offer undergraduate and postgraduate courses in what it termed Vedic Astrology or Jyotirvigyan (i.e jyotir-vijñāna, lit. "astral science"). This was widely protested in the scientific and academic community.[6] A legal challenge filed by academicians with the High Court of Andhra Pradesh was dismissed in 2004; on subsequent appeal, this decision was upheld by the Supreme Court of India.[7]

Curious what impresses some of you. My idea of impressive is getting a phD and contributing a lifetime of work and publications in a field.

What being in school all your life accomplishes, I have no idea, nor do I care.

My reaction...meh.

Last edited:
Cyrus said:

Getting an article written about you.

People who are in school forever around here are called bums afraid of the real world.

meh, it's like trying to get all of the merit badges in boyscouts.
good base of knowledge, but almost a waste of time

waht said:
looks like astrology is actually taught in universities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vedic_astrology

berkeman said:
Yikes. My opinion of India just dropped significantly. Unfortunate.

Okay, so what is the big deal? I don't see anyone making the same kinda fuss over theology and other religious studies. :confused:

There's a Buddhist quote about getting fat from attaining too much knowledge but utilizing none of it; I was trying to find it..

ranger said:
Okay, so what is the big deal? I don't see anyone making the same kinda fuss over theology and other religious studies. :confused:

If someone wants to get a masters degree in astrology, well good for them. But I don't think academia is a place for this.

http://astrology.wikia.com/wiki/Vedic_Astrology

The practice of Vedic astrology primarily relies on the visible or sidereal zodiac, which is different from the tropical zodiac used in Western astrology in that an ayanamsa adjustment is made for the gradual precession of the vernal equinox. The tropical zodiac is used in Vedic astrology only to compute ascendant (lagna), although the end result is converted to sidereal lagna. Prediction of weather and related phenomena is traditionally made according to sidereal system, especially through horoscopes for the moment of solar transition into sidereal nakshatras and rāshis at ancient cente of India (near Bhopal at Cancer) or from Meru in Jamboodvioa [1] ; but some people are now experimenting with tropical syatem for predicting the course of nature - as in weather, etc.

waht said:
If someone wants to get a masters degree in astrology, well good for them. But I don't think academia is a place for this.

http://astrology.wikia.com/wiki/Vedic_Astrology

Well, most of the older religions have similar nonsense which are taught all over the world.

ranger said:

[PLAIN said:
http://astrology.wikia.com/wiki/Vedic_Astrology]Prediction[/PLAIN] of weather and related phenomena is traditionally made according to sidereal system, especially through horoscopes for the moment of solar transition into sidereal nakshatras and rāshis at ancient cente of India (near Bhopal at Cancer) or from Meru in Jamboodvioa [1] ; but some people are now experimenting with tropical syatem for predicting the course of nature - as in weather, etc.

Sorry Ranger. It's a black mark no matter where it happens. There was a thread here a few months ago about some Isralie clerics on a plane, acting like idiots...

Last edited by a moderator:
How does he afford to do it?

Freddy_Turnip said:
How does he afford to do it?

You mean how can he afford the time or money?

I don't see why people like this are looked down on for not contributing anything or publishing papers, especially when he's apparently contributed new knowledge to 5 fields.

Furthermore, maybe he just won't contribute a more powerful bomb or more destructive virus to us. Sounds ok to me.

Tobias Funke said:
I don't see why people like this are looked down on for not contributing anything or publishing papers, especially when he's apparently contributed new knowledge to 5 fields.

I don't see why either. Its not like he is afraid of life or something. The man is a retired professor, who believes in a life long learning process. Hes fulfilling that. So why not do it and earn recognition? Especially if you can afford the time and money.

Tobias Funke said:

Please quote where this person was looked down...

Tobias Funke said:
Furthermore, maybe he just won't contribute a more powerful bomb or more destructive virus to us. Sounds ok to me.

What this has to do with the topic of this discussion is anyones guess; futhermore, it is inappropriate.

I agree with the sentiment with regards to a degree in astrology. It certainly doesn't give me confidence in the educational institution when I find out they are granting degrees in these types of areas.

rootX said:
Please quote where this person was looked down...

I'd consider these somewhat negative remarks...

Cyrus said:

My reaction...meh.

Pengwuino said:
People who are in school forever around here are called bums afraid of the real world.

qedprigmosyno said:
meh, it's like trying to get all of the merit badges in boyscouts.
good base of knowledge, but almost a waste of time
Cyrus said:
What this has to do with the topic of this discussion is anyones guess; futhermore, it is inappropriate.

Contributing nothing, if that's the case here, can be better than contributing something in some cases. I don't see how it's inappropriate. Do some people with PhDs not apply their knowledge to bomb design, or social engineering, etc.?

I could have also said that in 100 years nobody will care about any of our "accomplishments", but apparently I hit a nerve with my last comment. I didn't meant to offend anyone, but I've seen worse remarks. Hell, rootX offended about 3 billion people a few posts ago (not that I don't agree with him).

This may not be physics and other sciences, however with a PhD in philosophy it is understandable as to his course choices. He is doing what he wishes to do, and if his lifelong wish is to learn, then to him it may not be a waste of time. I'm sure he's happy in his life decisions, and he doesn't deserve to be scrutinized for them. What he has done is remarkable. It takes a lot of effort to stay in studies for that amount of time. But he's doing what he wants to do, no it isn't courses many here would choose, but that is a biased opinion. I myself find this quite remarkable.

Cyrus said:
Curious what impresses some of you. My idea of impressive is getting a phD and contributing a lifetime of work and publications in a field.

My reaction...meh.

This is pure opinion. I don't really understand anyone who would spend their lives working for other people. Yet people still do it and are happy with it. I find it illogical and a waste of time, just as how you look at this mans way of "working."

ranger said:

I had a friend who taught "Religion". When someone referred to her teaching "Theology", she quickly corrected him, pointing out that in order to study teach something you had to believe it exists. As she put, "I know 'religion' exists".

In any case, astrology is not anything like a religion.

Tobias Funke said:
Contributing nothing, if that's the case here, can be better than contributing something in some cases.

This is a meaningless statement.

I don't see how it's inappropriate. Do some people with PhDs not apply their knowledge to bomb design, or social engineering, etc.?

The fact that people with PhDs happen (if they so choose) to work on bomb design is completely off topic, and inappropriate, as I indicated in my previous post.

I could have also said that in 100 years nobody will care about any of our "accomplishments", but apparently I hit a nerve with my last comment. I didn't meant to offend anyone, but I've seen worse remarks. Hell, rootX offended about 3 billion people a few posts ago (not that I don't agree with him).

Again, I have no idea what this naive statement is supposed to mean, as all knowledge is derived from building on the past work and extending it to new unknowns. This is specifically what it means to have a PhD.

Last edited:
Senjai said:
This is pure opinion. I don't really understand anyone who would spend their lives working for other people. Yet people still do it and are happy with it. I find it illogical and a waste of time, just as how you look at this mans way of "working."

Who said anything about 'working for other people'? Why is this on topic, or relevant? You should try to not put words in my mouth. In addition, since you seem to be divorced from reality, try making a living while not 'working' for anyone. Even our dear professor has an employer, namely the university that pays him to teach.

Last edited:
My statement was about as meaningless as "well, MY idea of impressive is [whatever I did with my life]". List your publications and a lot of people would have the same reaction as you to this man-meh. That's all I'm really saying. If this guy wants to get all those degrees, so be it.

I wasn't talking to you specifically either. There were numerous responses along the lines of "this guy knows all this stuff but hasn't really done anything". Well maybe he's done what he wanted to do. I don't see why you're so defensive about it.

Tobias Funke said:
My statement was about as meaningless as "well, MY idea of impressive is [whatever I did with my life]". List your publications and a lot of people would have the same reaction as you to this man-meh. That's all I'm really saying. If this guy wants to get all those degrees, so be it.

And, as I said, I'm not impressed, nor do I care. People who publish papers, and produce meaningful work impress me. Not career students. The point of getting a PhD is to show that you can derive new bodies of knowledge on your own. Not to go back and get more degrees.

HallsofIvy said:
I had a friend who taught "Religion". When someone referred to her teaching "Theology", she quickly corrected him, pointing out that in order to study teach something you had to believe it exists. As she put, "I know 'religion' exists".

In any case, astrology is not anything like a religion.

I assume the astrology you are referring to is Vedic Astrology. In any case this aspect is a big part of Hinduism and their culture. For you to say it is not like religion, and that it is not real like what your friend was teaching, and therefore does not merit the same status is just plain wrong. Just like your friend knows religion exists, Hindus integrate the astrology component in their lives: for choosing names, auspicious dates, such as for marriage, etc. A study of this component is a study of a one component of Hinduism, which is, if you didn't already know, a religion!

While astrology has some religious roots, perhaps Vedic astrology has more, it differs from religion in that it is a pseudo-science that studies how the life force or planetary alignment influence the world, and then seeks to make predictions.

http://www.modernvedicastrology.com/Articles/AsianTsunami

At the time of the tsunami on December 26, 2004, there was one interesting alignment in the sky that has gone largely unnoticed: Both Mars and Saturn were very close to crossing the ecliptic. The ecliptic is the flat plane of the solar system and marks the vertical position of the Sun with respect to the orbiting planets.

Note that both disasters did not occur when the planets were closest to the ecliptic. At the time of the recent tsunami, Mars was positioned at 0°N13'08", and Saturn was even closer at 0°S01'27". What is important about this configuration is that both planets would be exactly parallel the ecliptic within just seven days of each other. When Saturn paralleled (or crossed) the ecliptic on January 8, 2005, Mars was just 4 minutes of arc from exact parallel. When Mars paralleled just a week later on January 15, 2005, Saturn was just 41 seconds from exact parallel. Other astrological factors may have triggered the energy contained within this simultaneous crossing of the ecliptic - slightly ahead of schedul

waht said:
While astrology has some religious roots, perhaps Vedic astrology has more, it differs from religion in that it is a pseudo-science that studies how the life force or planetary alignment influence the world, and then seeks to make predictions.

http://www.modernvedicastrology.com/Articles/AsianTsunami

Yes, you are absolutely right! Vedic Astrology is a very significant aspect of Hinduism. If you people think its just like western astrology where you open the newspaper and read your sign, then I can say there is a huge misconception. I just think that before comments are made regarding something, it should be properly researched :rolleyes: