Indicating Vector Inclusion in Span of Matrix Columns

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to indicate that a vector b is within the span of the columns of a matrix C, with the conclusion being that the notation \mathbf{b} \in \mathrm{Span}\{\mathbf{c}_1, \mathbf{c}_2, \ldots, \mathbf{c}_n\} is appropriate. The concept of span is then defined as a set of all linear combinations of a set of vectors. The empty set is also mentioned, with the assumption being that the span of an empty set would also be empty.
mafagafo

Homework Statement

How to indicate that a vector b is in the span of the columns of a matrix C?

Homework Equations

I could type the definition of Span here, but Wikipedia has it too and it is not necessary or useful now.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \mathbf{b} \in \mathrm{Span}\{\mathbf{c}_1, \mathbf{c}_2, \ldots, \mathbf{c}_n\} [/tex]

I've never seen the [itex]\in[/itex] symbol in this context and wanted to be sure it is OK. As the concept of span seems to be defined formally in such a way that it ends up being a set, I think this operator is the right one.

Physics news on Phys.org
mafagafo said:

Homework Statement

How to indicate that a vector b is in the span of the columns of a matrix C?

Homework Equations

I could type the definition of Span here, but Wikipedia has it too and it is not necessary or useful now.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \mathbf{b} \in \mathrm{Span}\{\mathbf{c}_1, \mathbf{c}_2, \ldots, \mathbf{c}_n\} [/tex]

I've never seen the [itex]\in[/itex] symbol in this context and wanted to be sure it is OK. As the concept of span seems to be defined formally in such a way that it ends up being a set, I think this operator is the right one.
The above represents a set of vectors, and ##\in## simply means that b belongs to that set.

This is a yes, right? (slow guy)

mafagafo said:
This is a yes, right? (slow guy)
Yes.

BTW, the span of a set of vectors is a set, albeit an infinite set - the set of all linear combinations of the vectors listed in the set.

Mark44 said:
Yes.

BTW, the span of a set of vectors is a set, albeit an infinite set - the set of all linear combinations of the vectors listed in the set.
What about [tex]\mathrm{Span}\{\varnothing\}[/tex]?

mafagafo said:
What about [tex]\mathrm{Span}\{\varnothing\}[/tex]?
I've never seen this, but I would guess that it's the empty set.

Mark44 should have said "the span of any non-empty set of vectors is infinite".

Related to Indicating Vector Inclusion in Span of Matrix Columns

1. What is notation?

Notation is a system of symbols and conventions used to represent and communicate mathematical or scientific ideas. It allows for complex concepts to be expressed in a more concise and standardized way.

2. Why is notation important in science?

Notation enables scientists to communicate and share their findings in a clear and efficient manner. It also allows for consistency and accuracy in calculations and data analysis.

3. What are the common types of notation used in science?

There are several types of notation used in science, including mathematical notation (such as symbols for operations and equations), chemical notation (chemical formulas and symbols), and scientific notation (used to express very large or small numbers).

4. How is notation developed and standardized?

Notation is developed and standardized through a collaborative process among scientists and mathematicians. It undergoes rigorous testing and evaluation to ensure accuracy, consistency, and ease of use.

5. Can notation differ between scientific disciplines?

Yes, notation can differ between scientific disciplines. For example, the notation used in physics may not be the same as the notation used in chemistry. However, there are also universal notations that are commonly used across different disciplines, such as the Greek alphabet and mathematical symbols.